Making a FAST TRACK Road Crossing

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Having some time off this summer has given me the much-needed time to work on my layout. Time is always a problem when it comes to doing the detail work. I had installed a pair of light track crossing signals and built a road crossing through my triple track section.

The road looked nice but then there was the problem of the fast track. The rails are high and it just didn’t look like any type of vehicle could realistically cross over them. So I started to look for a cheap easy way to fill in between the tracks. My first though was to use some dry wall compound or even build it up with cardboard.

Then I noticed my daughter eating a twin Popsicle and it hit me. There was my track crossing with real wood. I took each stick and split it so that the boards would be more to scale. I then took my knife and cut off the round ends and in addition I rounded the long ends so that it looked more worn. After that I made deep cuts and scratched with the knife on the top flat part of the stick.

[FONT=&quot]I painted them flat black and just lightly wiped each to give them more of a weathered look. I place each stick now split down the middle between the outside and middle rail. I now have a natural looking track crossing and I think the total cost was a quarter for the Popsicle.[/FONT]
  2. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Ah the double joys of Popsicles. :D Sounds like it came out pretty good looking. Any chance of pictures?
    Speaking of cheap items, I found that wooded coffee stir sticks work well for a lot of things O27 related.

Greg
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I will try to get one posted tonight though it is far from complete. I ran out of raw materials. I have to get my daughter to eat some more Popsicles.

Though I will say it looks much better than I thought it wood.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If you can persuade her to each chocolate popsicles, they'll come out pre-stained brown! (Unless she sucks the absolute last bit of flavour out of them.)
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

ROTFLMAO I've been known to do that myself. :D

Greg

6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I still have some more detail work to do at the crossings but this is what it looks like so far.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  7. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Those came out great. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Greg