Making a delivery...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Leased CNR 0-8-0 8414 spots a couple of hoppers for Creechan Fine Fuels, in Dunnville.
fresh_foe-toes_0241.jpg

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
GREAT SHOT WAYNE!:thumb: BTW, i REALLY LIKE the canvas sunshades i have been seeing on your engines, VERY NICE TOUCH!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: THANKS!:D -Deano

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Very good picture, Wayne. I love those big structures on your layout. How did you build this awesome red brick building in this scene?

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
ou ned to stop doing this wayne,you kep making me remember i dont have a layout yet! and i really need to start!great pics wayne :thumb:--josh

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks, guys. Kurt, the P&M Languay building was constructed from two Walthers Waterfront Warehouse kits, using most of the walls facing the viewer. The roof, back, and right end are .060" styrene sheet, while the left end is from the kit, with a scratchbuilt ground floor.
The leftover wall sections were used to build the visible end of the Evell Casket Co., at the other end of town.
2007-01-10_480.jpg

And in the interests of getting the most mileage out of the kits, I used the spare set of windows, slightly modified, to build the combination train station/express building/post office, situated between the first two buildings. The walls, roof, and platforms are built from more .060" sheet styrene.
100_54371.JPG

Here's an overview of Dunnville, looking north. The Evell building is out of the picture, to the left.
100_5649.jpg

Wayne

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Wayne, that is one of my favourite sections on your layout! Great roof lines and angles and the size of the buildings looks just right for their height. I know we often need to selectively compress, but I really like seeing buildings with more realistic proportions.

Val

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Another great set of shots, Wayne!

For the 1st one, did you add some extra lighting? It's quite bright - or did you over-expose a little bit to get that "bright sunlight" look?

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks folks, it's always nice to get positive feedback.
Squidbait, the first photo is probably over-exposed: this area is directly beneath a light fixture (double 4' fluorescent tubes, installed above a suspended ceiling). While I usually control the exposures manually, for some reason the camera reverts to default settings for exposure after a very short interval: it seems like about 60 seconds, although I haven't timed it. This is a real inconvenience, as is the fact that it won't let me cancel the automatic shut-off feature. That one is even more of a nuisance, as all of the manual settings have to be reset when I turn the camera back on. I have this feature set to the maximum 10 minute interval, but setting up a photo can often take much longer, especially if I'm hunting for some particular item to include in the scene. :rolleyes: I use an AC adapter for layout photography, so I'm not concerned about battery life. When the weather gets nicer, I may splurge for a battery charger so I can go do some railfanning shots, too. :D

Wayne

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hi doc---excellent photos and scenery---here's a shot of cnr #4100 rolling through dunnville which showcases the bertram machine shop in the background

21062006085.jpg

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey Wayne...Another great set of pics...You mention setting your camera for the shots. I've had a whale of a time trying to get good color balance but I just haven't been able to do it. I also have fluorescent lighting but my pics come out either washed out, or yellowish...but never right. Any tips..??

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Another note: I haven't ever contemplated doing an urban scene, but looking at your work makes one want to do it...Terrific modeling...!!! :thumb:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks, Gus. The pictures of your layout that I've seen look great, but if your camera allows it, there should be an option called "White Balance" which will allow you to select the type of available light that you're shooting in. My camera has "Auto", "Daylight", "Tungsten", and "Fluorescent". Selecting "Fluorescent" allows the camera to automatically compensate for this type of lighting, which otherwise gives photos a greenish cast. I think that "Auto" will also do this, but on my camera, it also activates the flash, which I don't want.

Wayne