Make Your Own Working Paper Clock

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by framebuffer, Jul 18, 2005.

1. C Greg

C Greg New Member

Asimovbeck,
    This may be a bit of a stretch -- Asimov wrote a nice introduction to the slide rule, and there is a link in this forum to a working paper slide rule if you need one to go with the book.

Forum: Internet Finds; Thread: Working slide rule

http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3780

Greg
  2. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

C Greg, thanks for that. I do have the book but I am not a regular card modeler.

I attended this forum just for the purpose of finding people who have had experience with the paper clock.

I did buy a slide to go with the book (made of wood) and found it most enlightening as I actualy used one 30 years ago before electronic calculators were availble. I had forgotten how they worked and Asimov's book brought it all back.

The thread was an interesting read and reflecting on some of the replies, slide rules are easily availble on ebay at very reasonable prices and some of the older quality ones fetch high prices.

Many thanks Asimovbeck.
  3. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

C Greg, thanks for that. I do have the book but I am not a regular card modeler.

I attended this forum just for the purpose of finding people who have had experience with the paper clock.

I did buy a slide to go with the book (made of wood) and found it most enlightening as I actualy used one 30 years ago before electronic calculators were availble. I had forgotten how they worked and Asimov's book brought it all back.

The thread was an interesting read and reflecting on some of the replies, slide rules are easily availble on ebay at very reasonable prices and some of the older quality ones fetch high prices.

Many thanks Asimovbeck.
  4. jasco

jasco Member

This was the first paper model I ever saw. My uncle sent it to me for a birthday present. Alas, I never built it but it began one of my many quests into the workings of various things. I still have the book and may still build it one day. Good to know that the axles and weights called for are inadequate!
  5. jasco

jasco Member

This was the first paper model I ever saw. My uncle sent it to me for a birthday present. Alas, I never built it but it began one of my many quests into the workings of various things. I still have the book and may still build it one day. Good to know that the axles and weights called for are inadequate!
  6. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

Thank you for the tips!

I too have a couple of these books (working Paper Clock). When you can get them on eBAy for less than $12 which includes shipping they are a steal.

Do you think 2mm carbon tube would work. I already had plans to use some.

Thanks for letting us 1st time builders in on the secrets!

Mike Bauer
  7. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

Thank you for the tips!

I too have a couple of these books (working Paper Clock). When you can get them on eBAy for less than $12 which includes shipping they are a steal.

Do you think 2mm carbon tube would work. I already had plans to use some.

Thanks for letting us 1st time builders in on the secrets!

Mike Bauer
  8. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

mbauer, the basics behind making this model work is to avoid loosing vertical alignment of the gears when stressed by the weight.
    The instuctions intend for the paper gears to rotate on straightened paper clip axles (very weak design), if you afix the paper gears to a metal (or other) axle which can rotate independantly then you can overcome this design fault.
    Please read page 33 of the book, you will notice that this is a re-design of a very old idea translated from French. The origonal probably pre-dated paper clips.
    I wish I could find an origonal of this book as I think I could do a better job of re-publishing. The instructions are so vague that you almost have to build 2 just to find out why the first won't work!
  9. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

mbauer, the basics behind making this model work is to avoid loosing vertical alignment of the gears when stressed by the weight.
    The instuctions intend for the paper gears to rotate on straightened paper clip axles (very weak design), if you afix the paper gears to a metal (or other) axle which can rotate independantly then you can overcome this design fault.
    Please read page 33 of the book, you will notice that this is a re-design of a very old idea translated from French. The origonal probably pre-dated paper clips.
    I wish I could find an origonal of this book as I think I could do a better job of re-publishing. The instructions are so vague that you almost have to build 2 just to find out why the first won't work!
  10. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

11. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

12. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

13. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

14. Greasetattoo

Greasetattoo New Member

Yes, I made that one too! (the book one)
    I did not work.

So, I went and got the Wrebbit one!
    This one works like a charm.
    I don't leave the weights on, as it will sag the clock.
    I have no idea, on how many hours I have into it...

Attached Files:

15. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

that is absolutely stunning. I'm gonna have to build mine now...
  16. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I have this kit myself, and judging by the quality, I would say that $30-$35 is the proper retail range for this model kit.
    Just my opinion, but I think it is a fair price and I would jump on it for $20.

Russell