Make Your Own Working Paper Clock

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by framebuffer, Jul 18, 2005.

1. framebuffer

framebuffer New Member

2. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I've built it. Its very pretty, but I can't get it to work. the gears keep
    getting all bound up. I put it down for now, I'll get back to it soon.

I even bought a mirror to mount it on.
  3. J.L.

J.L. Member

I bought this paper clock some time ago. I put it aside after receiving, as a gift, the Wrebbit paper Beg Ben style pendulum clock. A much nicer model. (Wrebbit make the 3D puzzles and models.) Like the Mercedes 500, I don't think it is available any longer.
    J.L.
  4. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

It works! I have just compleated this model and it functions. It will NOT work if you follow the instuctions.
    Is there anyone out there having trouble with this model?
    There are design faults but they can be overcome.
    I would like to here from anyone else who has compleated this model.
    I am compiling a DVD slide show of my construction with voice over.
  5. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

It works! I have just compleated this model and it functions. It will NOT work if you follow the instuctions.
    Is there anyone out there having trouble with this model?
    There are design faults but they can be overcome.
    I would like to here from anyone else who has compleated this model.
    I am compiling a DVD slide show of my construction with voice over.
  6. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I'm all ears, I get about 3 ticks on mine, and then it stops.
  7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I'm all ears, I get about 3 ticks on mine, and then it stops.
  8. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I have a working paper steam locomotive from the same company, I have no interest in building and tried selling it on ebay but got no interest. If anyone is interested drop me a message.
  9. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I have a working paper steam locomotive from the same company, I have no interest in building and tried selling it on ebay but got no interest. If anyone is interested drop me a message.
  10. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

Hi jleslie48, the main failings with this model are the gear axles & mountings & the weight.
    The weight needs to be 16 ounze or more.
    The gears need to have 2mm steeel rod axles mounted into a plastic bush fixed to the frame.
    The model fails due to the stress of the weight pulling the gears out of vertical alignment.
    Straightened paper clip axles bend and allow the gears to flex under stress. It may be too late to amend a finished clock but a second try with re-designed axles & mountings will do the job.

Also, how many hours did it take you? My first attempt (which didn't work) was about 75 hours. Second model half the time and it works well.
  11. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

Hi jleslie48, the main failings with this model are the gear axles & mountings & the weight.
    The weight needs to be 16 ounze or more.
    The gears need to have 2mm steeel rod axles mounted into a plastic bush fixed to the frame.
    The model fails due to the stress of the weight pulling the gears out of vertical alignment.
    Straightened paper clip axles bend and allow the gears to flex under stress. It may be too late to amend a finished clock but a second try with re-designed axles & mountings will do the job.

Also, how many hours did it take you? My first attempt (which didn't work) was about 75 hours. Second model half the time and it works well.
  12. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Your description of the failings is exactly what I am experiencing. I took 2 months to build it, but I wasn't racing a clock if you pardon the pun. I was thinking of loosening the alignments to get it to work, but I haven't returned to the project yet. I was up to about 16 oz as well before the clock started to tear itself apart.
  13. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Your description of the failings is exactly what I am experiencing. I took 2 months to build it, but I wasn't racing a clock if you pardon the pun. I was thinking of loosening the alignments to get it to work, but I haven't returned to the project yet. I was up to about 16 oz as well before the clock started to tear itself apart.
  14. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

jleslie48, thanks for responding. I tested my first clock to near destruction to find these faults and i doubt if your clock will work without replacing the axles and re-mounting the gear wheels.
    I don't think this can be done as it will require a level of dismantling. Not easy with glued together components!
    The book is still easily available through ebay and various book stores so if you have the patience you may wish to start again.
    I was wondering how you came across this book? Are you a regular card modler?
    This is the first card model I have ever done.
    My interest came from the fact that the introduction is by Isaac Asimov and I am a keen Asimov collector.
  15. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

jleslie48, thanks for responding. I tested my first clock to near destruction to find these faults and i doubt if your clock will work without replacing the axles and re-mounting the gear wheels.
    I don't think this can be done as it will require a level of dismantling. Not easy with glued together components!
    The book is still easily available through ebay and various book stores so if you have the patience you may wish to start again.
    I was wondering how you came across this book? Are you a regular card modler?
    This is the first card model I have ever done.
    My interest came from the fact that the introduction is by Isaac Asimov and I am a keen Asimov collector.
  16. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I've been known to do a model or two:

http://jleslie48.com

I already have another copy of that paper clock book, as well as several other paper clocks. I was given that one as a gift from a family member who knew my facination with paper modelling.

The one I have that I really want to build is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-All-Paper-C...goryZ774QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have it, but with my limited success with the first one, I'm hesitant.
  17. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I've been known to do a model or two:

http://jleslie48.com

I already have another copy of that paper clock book, as well as several other paper clocks. I was given that one as a gift from a family member who knew my facination with paper modelling.

The one I have that I really want to build is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-All-Paper-C...goryZ774QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have it, but with my limited success with the first one, I'm hesitant.
  18. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

Hi jleslie48, the Wrebbit clock looks interesting. I would give it a go as your experience with the other clock will have armed you with knowledge to overcome any difficulties.
    Personally my interest is only with things associated with Asimov so I am not inclined to delve into any other model making.
    As there don't seem to be any other modelers interested in discussing this paper clock I wish you the best and let me know how you get on with the Wrebbit clock.

Many thanks for your time,

Asimovbeck.
  19. asimovbeck

asimovbeck New Member

Hi jleslie48, the Wrebbit clock looks interesting. I would give it a go as your experience with the other clock will have armed you with knowledge to overcome any difficulties.
    Personally my interest is only with things associated with Asimov so I am not inclined to delve into any other model making.
    As there don't seem to be any other modelers interested in discussing this paper clock I wish you the best and let me know how you get on with the Wrebbit clock.

Many thanks for your time,

Asimovbeck.
  20. C Greg

C Greg New Member

Asimovbeck,
    This may be a bit of a stretch -- Asimov wrote a nice introduction to the slide rule, and there is a link in this forum to a working paper slide rule if you need one to go with the book.

Forum: Internet Finds; Thread: Working slide rule

http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3780

Greg