Make Uncoupling tool

trainking49

Dec 20, 2004
Uncupling Tool

Hi Pete, I use a small modeling screw driver or a pencil.
This works good for me.
Give it a try and see what you think.:thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
An uncoupling tool that a bunch of guys in the modular club I belong to make consists of a piece of 1/2 inch doweling about 4 inches long with a 4 inch pice of thin piano wire glued into a hole drilled in the end. At the end of the wire opposite the dowel handle, you do two 90* bends to make roughly a squared off z shape. To use it, you get slack in your Kadee couplers, and use the wire to "snag" one trip pin and uncouple. It is the best tool I've seen for walk around operations.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Pete,
All of the above (I use the skewers) work well with magnetic couplers. If you have equipment with the older style horn hook couplers try a three sided mini-file...works great for me on those old hold outs!
Ralph

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Just trying out a train on the layout in progress the other day and needed an uncoupling tool. I grabbed a piece of solid wire about 5" long, stripped about an inch off one end, and bent about 1/4" over 90 degrees. Makes a great little tool and with 18 gauge wire is stiff enough but will "give" if something snags.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I use the bamboo skewer.....I've clipped the pins on all my couplers.

NOTE OF CAUTION....don't clip the pins on Kadee double shelf couplers...they're kind of hard to uncouple without them..something about the shelf getting in the way of the uncoupling tool

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I've used a piece of brass wire with a L or Z shaped end mounted in a wood handle to pull the Kadee trip pins over. Also used a small screwdriver and toothpick.
You are asking about Kadees? I've got a device for the British common coupling and British 3-links.