MAJOR theft in San Antonio from Model RR dealer

This just recieved from a friend of a friend...George Canham and Debra Babb of Wig-Wag

We regret to advise our customers and friends that between the hours of 11:30pm on
Sunday 06/06 and 6:30a.m. on Monday June 07 while staying at the Motel 6 at I-35 & Rittiman
in San Antonio, Texas, following the GATS show there, our trailer was broken into.
Some 18 bins and 4-5 large cardboard cartons were taken including Atlas, Kato, Intermountain,
Model Power, Bachmann, Athearn, Micro-Trains, Con-Cor, Pecos River Brass locomotives
along with Trainworx, Atlas, Intremountain, Athearn, Kato, Con-Cor, Red Caboose,
deLuxe Innovations, Micro-Trains, Consignment items and other rolling stock.
While we have to complete a total inventory to determine the exactly what
all was taken, we estimate the loss between $30,000 and $80,000.

The thieves may have a hard time trying to move this much inventory. The police
expect the disposal process may be spread out over a wide area. If you live in
Texas or one of the surrounding states please be on the lookout for people trying to
sell items that may have our round yellow price tags still affixed. The other
indication could be people trying to sell large quantities of inventory including George Hollwedel
Micro-Trains special runs and the New Mexico Railrunners special runs from 1995.

Obviously we'll be busy shipping out the SD0MACs, BethGons, Tunnel Motors and other items
that weren't taken while we also try to determine the extent of the losses. Some delays may
result as we try to figure out what all was lost and how to recover from this loss. We most likely will be
listing our personal collection for sale as we try to raise capital to replenish inventory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Debra Babb
George CaNham
Wig-Wag, LLC

If you see anyone with these models, let the police know! :mad: :curse: :cry: :eek: :(

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Guys, I truly doubt if this was a grab and run rip off seeing that all of the stolen goods was top quality and I suspect these outlaws was not armatures.. With e bay,train shows and such like I doubt if the outlaws will be caught..That yellow price tag can be easily removed and each item can be sold over a long time period without drawing any suspicion or attention and from any state after all it was ripped off at a train show next to a Interstate highway.. :( Sadly with other major crimes I doubt if the Police will be working 24/7 on that case..

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Might I suggest that we all keep our eyes pealed for items that are selling well below their true value. If we all join in a "neighborhood watch" perhaps the thieves will give themselves away. Perhaps if a more complete list were posted enough eyes might turn something up.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I'll definatley be watching for any of these products stolen from George, I don't know if someone would be stupid enough to try and sell this stuff right away, but if I see any of it, I'll be sure to let George know right away. It would be a good idea for all of us to do the same. It's a shame that there are people who would do this in our hobby, I guess no hobby would be free of this kind of thing, but we would like to think so.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
To George & Debbie, Sorry for your Loss and the stress's associated with it.Its unfortunate that a few can ruin our freedoms and upset our lives without so much as a by your leave.Its unconscionable and i hope some shred of light gets these predetors caught.

I ,like Brakie feel that in this day and age ,the advent of ebay and other sources for international sales minimizes the exposure of these crooks.

On the brite side however,if they do sell and transport out of the state they stole from,it becomes a federal offense and carries much stiffer penelties.
Might i suggest the following.

#1- Make a list of some of the very specialized items taken( a couple dozen should be enough) Add the serial numbers to the list.Make several hundred copies for distribution.

#2- call a few of the top retailers in the US and Canada that do a large trade and find out if they have any customers that collect these types of specialzed pieces.(dont ask for names, ask if they will send a mailing out to thier customer with the stolen specialized inventory)

This will take a bit of time but will not be an inordinate amount.The other retailers for certain have an interest in catching these types of thieves also.You may be able to reach as many as 500-1000 specialty customers with a small list which is manageable.
Now for the offer.

Offer anyone who purchases a piece that is on the list that item + an additional reward for information leading to the arrest of the swine who ripped you off.
Ask your insurance company about a rewards program.Most have some type of system in place.

Also, contact the major publications and give them a short listing of the very specialized pieces.While this is all still a long shot, it will increase the odds of ferreting out those responsible,or at the very least limit thier gains by making some of those big dollar items to risky to peddle.

Good Luck to you and i hope they make a mistake and are brought to justice.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I think Brakie hit the nail on the head when he suggested these items may turn up on eBay. As Tileguy suggests a list of some of the rarer and more traceable items (those with serial numbers) should be distributed to all the model RR forum members, here, Trainboard, All Model RRing etc. so we can be on the lookout.
Unfortunately, the seller may just claim he/she bought it from someone else, but at least it's a start.
I hope that whoever did this will be apprehended and forced to make restitution, plus an appropriate punishment, such as 10 years laying ballast!
No mention of insurance in Siderod's post - were they covered?

Val

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
spitfire said:
I think Brakie hit the nail on the head when he suggested these items may turn up on eBay....Unfortunately, the seller may just claim he/she bought it from someone else, but at least it's a start.

Val

Val,

Just so you know, possession of stolen goods is a criminal offense regardless of how they claim they got it. If the rightful owners can prove it is theirs, they can lose it and the money they paid for it, or worse, they can be prosecuted for possession even if it was bought on eBay. It is hopeful that these people leave a paper or electronic trail so they can be found if and when they try to dispose of this stuff.

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
Hey it could be an INTERNATIONAL theft ring because of the location that the items were stolen. Train robbers steal model trains in SA, they head for the border and sell the items on the black market in Mexico. :eek: They really need to be caught. I went to their website recently and they didn't mention (as far as I could tell) the thefts.