Mainline Coaling Tower

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
An article appered in the November 1990 model railroader about converting a kit.
I decided I could use a couple of these so am scratchbuilding two with my faviourite material, cardboard
The first phot shows beams cut from corrugated cardboard. They are 1/8th of an inch.
OOPS sorry my error. It was in Railroad Model Craftsman mag

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 400

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Wow Robin, you are off and running once again! The bridge project was wonderful, now the coaling towers. You have convinced me to try your material of choice when I start building structures for my next layout. I can't wait to follow the progress on this project!

Thanks for sharing your efforts with us!

Eric

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Cardstock is my building material of choice too. ;) I like to see your posts and pick up a few tips. Good to see your onto another project.

One thing I was wondering. When you stick the 1/8 paper strips to the 1/8 cardboard, exactly how do you do it to get it so clean, straight and wrinkle free? In other words, how are you handleing your glue? (white glue I assume) And, do you use a variety of glues in the building of your structures. Do you ever use hot glue or 5 min epoxy?

TrainClown :)

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks for the encouragement folks.
TC I use white glue for 98% of what I do. Some epoxy where needed. No other kinds than glue sticks to glue background pictures to masonite.
All I do is spread a bead of white glue down the length of the corrugated strip and smooth it with my finger. It helps to have a damp cloth available to get the glue off before I lift the paper strip up. I place the strip at one end of the beam and let it settle on to the rest of it. I then smooth the paper with my finger and thats it.
I have also glued 1/8th strips of paper on the cerealboard cut outs. I use a piece of corrugated card to reinforce the corners when I glue sections together as seen here.

Attachments

• m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 356

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks Fred. It stands 5 7/8ths inch tall
I got some more done last night while watchin a doubler header of Canadian Football League games. The ones between Montreal and Ottawa, Montreal won, and the one between Edmonton and B.C. Edmonton was winning when I went to bed at the begining of the fourth quarter. Getting too late for me. But I did add more leges and structural beams as can be seen here.

Attachments

• m7.jpg
    m7.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 321

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Just What I'm Needing!

Robin, I'll openly grovel for any plans you might have for this structure. I'm looking for exactly (pretty sure...) what you're building here, to use as a smallish engine coaling facility on my line. Everything I seem to find is designed for huse locos, or huge numbers of locos. I'm just wanting to service one at a time, lined up beside a water tower.

I'll be watching this thread with rapt attention. :thumb:

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Robin, I'm so glad that you finished another box of cereals and transform the remains into something very useful! :D :D :D

In earnest - coaling towers are fascinating structures, and I am following the making of your model with great attention. And it looks like this will be one more masterpiece in your tradition. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thank you for sharing!

Ron