Magnetic Uncoupling and Metal Wheels

gcri

Jun 19, 2007
I wanted to use rare earth magnets on a layout I am building right now to magnetically uncouple my rolling stock in the yard. I planned on using Micro-Train couplers on all my rolling stock and replacing the plastic wheels with brass insulated wheels from Intermountain that are meant for Micro-Trains trucks. I know it says they are brass and that should not cause any issues (like the wheels sticking to the track), but Atlas metal wheels are brass, but the axles are steel so I figured that might cause a problem. I have not been able to find out if Intermountain's axles are steel or not, but I figured I would just ask this question, who is running metal wheels and using magnets to uncouple their rolling stock? Also what type of metal wheels and couplers are you using?

Thanks

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
I use rare earth magnets and haven't found any metal wheelsets that work. Cars twang into position and often can't be uncoupled or coupled at all... I have replaced all with MT lo-pro plastic wheelsets. There are also a small number of cheaper cars that use a metal plate inside the car to add weight -- some of these are ferrous and you have to swap them out for lead or something else. Easy to test if you have a magnet set up at your workspace...

gcri

Jun 19, 2007
Unfortunately that is what I was afraid of. I can live without magnetic uncoupling as I had rather have metal wheels. If there is anybody else out there that has successfully set this up please feel free to speak up :excited1: