Magnetic Building Board

rgmarine

Photo 1
I made an assembly base by purchasing 8X16 inch piece of 16 guage steel from Home Depot. This was cleaned with MEK and then painted with two coats of spray Rustoleum matte white. When dry I drew guidelines on the steel plate with a marking pen. When working, I just cover the plate with wax paper held down by small magnets on the four corners (super glue will not stick to wax paper and you can see the guidelines through it). I also use both small and large magnets to hold parts in position during assembly.
Photo 3
Here is a photo showing the use of large rectangular magnets to maintain a 90 degree angle to verticals I tack glued frames in position with super glue. After parts were tacked in place I followed up with a generous fillet of UHU and Aleens on the joints to make everything solid and put aside the assembly to dry overnight.

Photo 19
In this photo you can see my magnetic building board in action. It is a small piece of steel painted white with grid lines on it. I use small magnets to hold parts in position while gluing up the parts. It works pretty good for this task.

One drawback to this method is when you get the magnets too close together, they jump towards each other and could damage your model. Other than that they work great.

Attachments

• DSCN0377[1].JPG
    DSCN0377[1].JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN0373[1].JPG
    DSCN0373[1].JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN0399%20Large%20Web%20view[1].jpg
    DSCN0399%20Large%20Web%20view[1].jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 45

cool_marxcat

cool_marxcat
Great idea, looks like I'm headed to Home Depot on my way home from work tonight.

I've previously just used weights of paper clips, but I like the idea of wax paper and magnets to secure pieces while they cure.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards, cool_marxcat

rgmarine

Uniform Grid

There was no reason for a uniform grid. I just needed straight lines and right angles.

Vince

I recently got a steel dry-erase board from Walmart that came with a couple of magnets, for my office. I bet that would work as a model-table surface.:thumb:
BTW, what ship are you building? Are you doing a build thread?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That's a really novel ideal. I think it's the first time I have seen this used like this. Great idea! :)

rgmarine

Current Project

Vince, I am working on Polish destroyer ORP Piorun by Maly which is what you see in the photos. I have not posted a build thread on this site yet but it is on Paper Modelers site. Will include it here soon. Also recently finished submarine Nautilus (Disney version) and it is on this site under science fiction and fantasy (don't know how to include link to it yet.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
recently finished submarine Nautilus (Disney version) and it is on this site under science fiction and fantasy (don't know how to include link to it yet.

If you want to, you can just post the photos of the Nautilus here in another thread. There is no need to link it from Paper Modelers.