Magazines

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by plbab, Dec 21, 2002.

1. plbab

plbab Member

Any magazines devoted to N scale?
  2. n-scaler-dude

n-scaler-dude Member

The one I've started buying is simply called "N-Scale", put out by Hundman Publishing. It comes out every 2 months. I'm not sure if normal newstands or bookstores carry it or not, I buy it at my local hobby store. You can also find back issues on ebay.

It's a very nice magazine.:)
  3. RI541

RI541 Member

I'll second N-scaler-dude,

most of the time the other magizine's will give the reduction sizes on the blue print. If the blue print is in HO just reduce the size by 54.4 % and you have N-scale.
  4. railohio

railohio Active Member

And nobody is going to mention N Scale Railroading, published by Kirk Reddie and gang? BAH! Also published bimonthly, on months that N Scale isn't. I'll leave personal opinions as to which magazine is better aside for now.
  5. n-scaler-dude

n-scaler-dude Member

I didn't mention it because I wasn't aware of it:confused:

I just started buying N-Scale and they must have been out of the current edition of the one you mentioned. I'll have to look for it too.:)
  6. tomfassett

tomfassett Member

I always figured N scale guys just bought HO magazines and held 'em at arms length...:p :rolleyes: :D

Trainweb has a growing list of magazines dedicated to model railroading. Both N Scale railroading and N Scale Magazine are listed. Some magazines are not scale specific. here is the link:
    http://www.railmagazines.com/modelrr.html

Tom F
  7. jkristia

jkristia Member

I subscribe to both, and I like both. I find that “N Scale Railroading” usually has better color pictures and more details of the layouts, whereas “N Scale” is more about kit bashing or scratch building, in my opinion. I have subscribed to both for a year now, and I will re-new both subscriptions. If I were to choose only one, it would be “N Scale Railroading” though.

Jesper
  8. n-scaler-dude

n-scaler-dude Member

If you plan on looking for back issues of N-Scale on ebay, be prepared to pay good money. I just paid $40+ for 18 back issues. But still, it's cheaper than ordering them directly from the magazine itself.
  9. RI541

RI541 Member

The best place to get back issues is at larger train shows. THen you should be able to pick them up dirt cheap.

I've seen stacks of differant magazines for a buck a piece. or a whole year for ten and fifteen dillers.
  10. tomfassett

tomfassett Member

Don't forget the local hobby shops. I picked up an N Scale Railroading mag a while back just because it had an article on SW1500s (and to see how the "other half" lives...:D). I paid 50 cents for it and it was in good condition.

Tom F
  11. n-scaler-dude

n-scaler-dude Member

You can always find Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman at various places very cheaply. I have bought them by the boxfull (50-100 copies) for under $10. My local hobby shops have them for .75 each, but that's about the extent of the variety you find. Sometimes you can get TRAINS magazine also.

I also managed to find an almost complete run of Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette for $3 at a local flea market. Never been interested in narrow gauge RR'ing, so they went up on ebay by the year. Imagine my suprise when the total rose to just over $450. I'll have to go some train shows and see if I can find some more.;) ;) ;)