Magazines I was almost in.....

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
Magazine I was almost in.....

From the Kalmbach Model Railroading Newletter
Our Model Railroad Planning e-mail sent on January 10 mistakenly mentioned a Harold Minkwitz's On2-1/2 story. Regrettably, that feature won't appear in Model Railroad Planning 2006, rather a future installment. However, Model Railroad Planning 2006 will include Bruce Chubb's article on designing his new HO scale Sunset Valley Oregon System.

I guess I have missed another 15 minutes of fame. Still you can visit my website and follow the building of my layout. I am chronicling all the adventures.

photo14.jpg

We aren't doing On30 anymore, and we are having more fun than ever modeling the 1870's. Visit us at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Harold, its a shame that your layout was not included in the 2006 issue, i have not purchased any of their mags for years, they keep going back to the same people and offer nothing new with their mentality of you have to be in the clique and have a monster layout or your not a "real modelrailroader". You have an excellant site and layout, saved this one and am going to learn lots from your work..many thanks Ron..

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That is a disappointment Harold, not only to you, but to the readers, since you have so much to offer. :thumb: Like Ron, I skipped it this year, but had I known they were planning on having your article in it, I would have bought a copy just for that.

Let us know when they plan on doing it for you.

Some of it has to do with salability. Narrow-gauge railroad modeling is still rather erudite, and I'd venture to guess that most people model in HO.

That being said, keep plugging away. Perhaps Model Railroad Craftsman would be a better venue for your genius.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I've been buying MR for about three years becauce I am a newbee and allready noticing the you gotta be perfect to be noticed mentality. Good mag for rivet counters, but I think a lot of the stuff they show is waaaaaay over detailed. I wish there was a comperable Canadian mag. (if there is would somebody please clue me in)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I used to subscribe to MR and RMC, but realised that they definately have a "home town bias" it seems every other article in MR was on Milwaukee Road and RMC had an awful lot of articles on railroads found in New Jersey. I model Santa Fe, and it may be that my viewpoint is skewed, but now I subscribe to the Santa Fe Modeling & Historical Society's War Bonnett. If I see something interesting in one of the mainline modeling magazines, I buy the issue at my lhs.
If MR ever puts your layout in an issue, I'll definately make that one a must buy, Harold. I think your railroad and Jack Burgess' Yosemite Railroad capture California scenery in summer better than any other model railroad I've ever seen. The Tehachapie Railroad in the San Diego Model Railroad Museum is fantastic, but they have obviously modeled Tehachapie in winter because everything is green.

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
Russ Bellinis said:
I used to subscribe to MR and RMC, but realised that they definately have a "home town bias" it seems every other article in MR was on Milwaukee Road and RMC had an awful lot of articles on railroads found in New Jersey. I model Santa Fe, and it may be that my viewpoint is skewed, but now I subscribe to the Santa Fe Modeling & Historical Society's War Bonnett. If I see something interesting in one of the mainline modeling magazines, I buy the issue at my lhs.
If MR ever puts your layout in an issue, I'll definately make that one a must buy, Harold. I think your railroad and Jack Burgess' Yosemite Railroad capture California scenery in summer better than any other model railroad I've ever seen. The Tehachapie Railroad in the San Diego Model Railroad Museum is fantastic, but they have obviously modeled Tehachapie in winter because everything is green.

Thank you for the compliment on the scenery.

Tony Koester's article in the latest MR showed what is wrong with the major mags. When he was editor of RMC if he had a problem on his railroad Tony would ask one of his "usual contributers" to write an article explaining how to fix his problem and he would publish the article. Maybe if he had gone through his files and found an article from his "non-usual" contributers there would be more interest in writing articles for the magazines. Seems that sounds like laziness and not really doing your job.

My two articles in RMC were there for that reason. Bill Shamburg models central California. I had a short web article about making the faux fur grass and didn't have a technique article then. A friend of his saw the short article and Bill asked me to do an article. The same with my Western brush article. I sent my cardboard balloon article with the western brush article and have not heard from RMC since.

Maybe if the editors did their job we would see more articles of interest. I like the internet better even though there is no money in writing on the web. I don't mind the magazine editors omitting things from the articles but they add stuff that doesn't work.

Just a thought
Harold

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
And the only reason my layout was going to be in Model Railroad Planning was it was based on the plan in the 2002 issue of Model Railroad Planning. They wanted to show that someone actually got something from the magazine. If it had just been another 4x8 On30 layout it wouldn't even been considered. Steve Sherrill's great On30 layout made the magazine because he knows Bill and Mary Miller, members of the "usual contributers" group.

Just a thought
Harold

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I'm sorry to hear about the missed article, but I'm beginning to believe that getting one's layout in any hard-mag is equivilent to rock star's desire to be on the cover of the Rolling Stone mag. It's desirable for any modeler and is like a diploma, but not necessary to enjoy or be enjoyed by peers in the MRRing community.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who stopped subscribing to MRRer. I've bought a few issuses over the last few years when I re-entered the hobby, but found out that there is a better source for exchange of ideas, here. It's not one way, or delayed, as found with hard-mags. If you have a question, you're better off asking about it here, you won't have to wait 3 months to read a short response in the letters to the editor column. In fact, most single posts in response to a question here are longer and more informative than any response from any editor. And most of it is objective because it comes from a variety of modelers.

I think the mags have/had their place in history, but due to the internet they are really not as neccessary as before.

Speaking of mags, what happened to "The Gauge" e-mag?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Harold,

In all the time I've been into model railroading and subscribed to MR, I seem to see the same few names come up frequently. Kinda like there are no other good modelers worthy of publication. I do notice a new layout featured now and then, and that's good, but as you say, there is this "usual contributor" club that keeps the circle small. I know someone that regularly contributes to both the N Scale mags and he says his chances of getting an article into MR is close to nil.

Don't get me wrong, these guys are all good, just that there are many others that are as well and it would be nice to see a few how-to's like yours show up now and then. I continue to subscribe to MR because I like to see what's going on and keep in touch with the vendor ads. I did not order the 2006 Track Planner just because I haven't gotten anything out of the last few issues and it wasn't worth even their "special price" offer.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I've never subsribed to MR or to any other Model railroad mag. Usually I go to the store and browse the mag to see if there is anything that makes the mag worth buying. lately I haven't found much in MR that intrests me. maybe I've been in the hobby too long and have seen it all before, or maybe It's geared towards beginner modelers more.
I miss paint shop, model of the month, equipment and structure drawings and others that seemed to dissappear in the 90's.
I miss authors like John Olsen, Malcom Furlow, and others like them as well.

N

nachoman

I am a student in a profession that often takes the attitude "he who publishes most, wins" (the scientific community). This often leads to the acceptance of bad hypothesis, the perpetuation of paradigms, and poor science simplly because people are unwilling to challenge the "big names". In my opinion, the best resaarch I see is in the lesser journals, and even unpublished stuff. I havent found a single thing in model railroader in about 5-10 years that has intersted me. If I was to subscribe to a magazine these days, it would be Narrow Gauge Shortline Gazette, but only because I am interested in narrow gauges and shortlines. The best resource I have found, however, is right here in forums like this or websites like harold's. Who gives a damn if it is in "model railroader"? It's entirely their loss, if you ask me.

(by the way, this forum is 1000 times better than the model railroader forum, IMO)

kevin

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Don's gotta a good point.
But its no secret that MR usually prints articles from more established writers. Its a shame too, because I'm sure there are plenty of other great modellers out there that should be seen. But because they're last names aren't Chubb, Koester, Thompson or Strang,they're articles never reach subscribers.I too had gotten a rejection from them. I submitted an article on scratchbuilding North American telephone poles with operating street lights.(Has anyone done this), but it "just didn't fit" for them. One reason I didn't re-new my subscription. Though they did send me that DVD.
How many times can we read about glues and how to lay track. In fact, MR is starting to look like Sci-Fi channel.....Wasn't that just on last week?
Thats why I started the E-Mag......

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
eightyeightfan1 said:
Don's gotta a good point.
But its no secret that MR usually prints articles from more established writers. Its a shame too, because I'm sure there are plenty of other great modellers out there that should be seen. But because they're last names aren't Chubb, Koester, Thompson or Strang,they're articles never reach subscribers.I too had gotten a rejection from them. I submitted an article on scratchbuilding North American telephone poles with operating street lights.(Has anyone done this), but it "just didn't fit" for them. One reason I didn't re-new my subscription. Though they did send me that DVD.
How many times can we read about glues and how to lay track. In fact, MR is starting to look like Sci-Fi channel.....Wasn't that just on last week?
Thats why I started the E-Mag......
Ed,

And regarding that DVD, they said I could keep it and think of it as a gift, but then they played that "guilt"
card and said if I did I'd be depriving some poor soul of their opportunity.:cry: Well, a gift is a gift and I kept it.:D I have received no less than three letters since then saying that they still haven't gotten it back, nor the money to pay for it. :wave: Gee, do you think they really didn't mean what they said when they told me I didn't have to return nor pay for it since it has be in the postal code for some 30 years now?wall1

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
When I retired, I thought it best to pare down my monthly magazine budget. I had always bought the magazines at the hobby shop because it provided an excuse to go there and browse. Besides MR and RMC, I also always bought Trains, Classic Trains, and quite often Mainline Modeler. While MR has always been an attractive magazine, it seems to me that it's becoming the print equivalent of ready-to-run, and like their Forum, overly pre-occupied with DCC. While there is nothing wrong with rtr or DCC, there are still lots of us out here who still enjoy doing things the old way and who perhaps can't afford all the latest gadgets. Trains magazine seems to focus on present day railroads more than anything, and while I'm not disinterested, I'm also not overly interested. Most of the regular authors that I enjoyed, like David Morgan, Ed King, or John Kneiling are gone, so not much old-time tradition left. I do continue to buy Classic Trains, though, as it is still of interest and is published only quarterly. I also buy Mainline Modeler if it contains something of particular interest, but in Canada, at more than $8.00 an issue, it has to be of use. I did finally subscribe to RMC, partly because the hobby shops where I went to buy it would often never receive any copies some months, and also because I do enjoy most of their authors. And if you can get by the apparent lack of proofreading, you'll find a lot of articles about Canadian subjects and by Canadian authors. In my opinion, their best feature by far is Ted Culotta's "Essential Freight Cars", which is very useful for anyone modelling the period between the late '20s and the late '50s.
I also agree that MR's forums are starting to play like a broken record (if you don't know what that means, ask your parents (or grandparents). Way too much fluff obscuring a good solid core of competent and knowledgeable modellers. And for someone like me, who, if I am able to provide info or insight and take the time to answer a post, usually at some length, very unsatisfying when your input isn't acknowledged. I have to thank Andrew for pointing me to the Gauge, where people seem to be much more appreciative and accepting of others.
While it is certainly satisfying to have something published in a magazine and the financial rewards are enjoyable, the people who share their knowledge here on the Gauge are, I'm sure, appreciated by the rest of us. That said, I hope that Harold, and any other deserving authors out there, do get the opportunity to make a few bucks from their talents. At least you're already famous here on the Gauge.

Wayne