Maerklin C-Tracks or K-Tracks

Dingo69

Jan 3, 2006
Need some advice, here in Switzerland most stores are pushing the C-Tracks (which is the track with the base already attacked) but I am not sure as was planning on having cork under the K-Track to make is smoother and quieter.

Can anyone give advice on this, what tracks are the better ones? The stores say K is better as they stabile, robust but of course are a bit more expensive.

I have seen that there is a converter trap from K to C and visa versa so I suppose If I buy a starter pack with K, then I could always buy this converter to swap.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Does Marklin offer flex track or is it all sectional? If it is more expensive with the plastic road bed built in, the stores will push it, more profit. I think also for new comers who expect to set up a train and have it run, the C track is probably better. If you are going to mount it to cork and ballast it, I don't see an advantage to the C track, and the disadvantage of having to remove all of the plastic roadbed in order to do scale roadbed and ballast. If you can get flex track in 3 foot or in Europe probably meter lengths, that will be better. The fewer electrical connections, the less places to have problems.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
You're going to get advice from the non-Maerklin people here.
Can you join the two types together, other than the height difference?
Are there electrical differences? Say, are the outer rails joined or not joined? (Would you cars? Do they use the outside rail to control signals?)
Tell them you really want the old stuff with the tin base and see what they say. (Ich wunsche die Settformen mit der Schlaeferin im Zinn!)

Dingo69

Jan 3, 2006
Well I have been doing some reading and talking to the local club who are made up of mixed maerklin and non maerklin users.

To answer your question the new tracks are no different in the electrical than the old ones and the converters are easy and not that expensive to buy, if you need them.

The real big advantage of the new maerklin tracks are that the wires and controllers are all included in the tracks all ready and are controlled through the base of the track to the control so there are no more wires going across/under your table.

Its only if you really want to do the ballast yourself that they recommend the older tracks. So will give the starter box a go with the C-Tracks.