MadCoW Test

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by MadCoW1, Jul 13, 2006.

1. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

HO Scale MadCoW Route

Hello Forum. Let's see if I can get these shots up here. Photos of my Madison Central of Wisconsin dioramas. The MadCow Route as it is known, was formed from ex-CNW lines branching out from Madison Wisconsin. Starting this fall, the power and rolling stock will start receiving M.C.o.W. reporting marks.

An employee special slows thru Dachshundville with SD40T-2 #8960 on the point and FP45B #11 providing power to the gallery cars.
    [​IMG]
    This is the same spot as the previous shot but a few years earlier in Northwestern days.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a shot of an EMD GP35 and a Chicago cummuter service FP7A that has been assigned to weekend freight duty, the pair are on the high bridge at Ablemann.
    [​IMG]
    Another shot at Ablemann with SD50 #7004 and SD40T-2 #8960 pulling loads from the quarry. Although still flying CNW reporting marks the units are under control of the MadCoW.
    [​IMG]
    And finally, Gp35 #845 leads two EMD cousins thru Dachshunville on an eastbound manifest.
    [​IMG]
    Hope you enjoy.

MadCoW
  2. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge, BSE. Glad to see that you figured out how to post the pictures. Very nice modelling work and photography. I look forward to seeing more.

Wayne
  3. brakie

brakie Active Member

Welcome! Great pictures and great modeling..:thumb: Looking forward in seeing some more of your photos.:D
  4. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

WOW! instant inspiration! Is that a fallen boxcar in the woods under that trestle in the second to last picture?
  5. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Fantastic! They look like prototype shots to me! Nice use of the water behind your beautiful trestle photos! The historical shot of Daschundville is clever. Very nice modeling!
    Ralph
  6. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

Wayne and Larry, Thanks for the welcome and for the help in figuring this thing out:thumb:

Johnny
  7. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

Yep, It's inhabited by the local hobos. That part of the valley is known as Hobo Jungle, a place to avoid after dark:D

Johnny
  8. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

Hi Ralph, Actually the water is real. I lugged the diorama out to the waters edge to get the shot. The other side of this diorama is a shear rock face handcarved from stacked styrofoam. As is the side you are looking at here, no castings, just styrofoam. Thank You for the compliments

Johnny
  9. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

A little tour

Ok, here's some progress shots for the quarry. Without going into a lot of detail, I use a kitchen steak knife for ALL the work, only the knife. This is going to be the quarry at Ableman where the railroad gets it's famous 'Pink Lady' ballast. This diorama is 2 feet deep X 8 feet long and is on a base of 2" thick extruded styrofoam. Track Atlas code 83 on N scale cork.

Here is view showing the trackplan. Yep it's been recycled!
    [​IMG]

The basic shape has bee roughed in and carving has begun.
    [​IMG]

The only thing I do is carve away anything that doesn't look like rock. I use the basic forms of the pieces to create the strata.
    [​IMG]

Here the loader has been placed for a test fit. More carving has been done.
    [​IMG]

Now the first layer of acrylic black wash has been applied using a plant spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle. It is only to give me an idea of what areas still need work.
    [​IMG]

More to follow,

Johnny
  10. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

Quarry Part 2

This is a close up of what the carvings look like.
    [​IMG]

As with all projects I keep placing structures, scenery and trains to get a feel for how things are coming along.
    [​IMG]

Here other arcrylic washes have been applied and I've started drybrushing in highlights and mossy areas.
    [​IMG]

Painting complete, 'Test' shots are made.
    [​IMG]

Over view of loading tracks and Main line. All I need now is foilage.
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned part 3 is next.

Johnny
  11. joesho

joesho Member

wow good job madcow those pictures look lifelike! but one question, what scale is this in?
    hopeing to see more progress and pictures keep up the good work
  12. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

Quarry Progress part 3

Still here? Thanks.

Other rocks and some vegetation have been added. Ballast is sifted from the Rock Springs(cnw) quarry where the WSOR now loads rock for the UP and other off-line customers.
    [​IMG]

Here's a close up of what the Main line looks like passing thru this area. Note conveyor overhead in backround.
    [​IMG]

Some trees have been temporarily planted.
    [​IMG]

The Guernsey '400', a Twin-Cities-Chicago train glides thru the reverse curves.
    [​IMG]

Well this is what is done so far. Work is halted til we get moved in to our new home in late August.
    [​IMG]

Hope you've enjoyed.

Johnny
  13. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

HO my friend! Right now they are all dioramas that are going to fit into a new layout.

Johnny
  14. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: great work :wave: sorry to say i diden't look at all the pics(stuck on the slow lane of the information highway) :(
  15. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Wow!!!

Call me dumb (or whatever...). I had to REALLY look closely to finally decide I was looking at models. I thought the initial comments were kinda tongue-in-cheek, so I had a closer look...!!! Great modeling!! Just a question, what kind of foam do you use?

Keep up the GREAT work!!

Gus (LC&P).
  16. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Welcome to the Gauge!
    If you hadn't told me...I'd swear they were prototype pics.
    Great work!
  17. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

what happened to this great HO modeler!? Has anybody seen or heard from him in awhile? What forum is he on now? Any Ideas?
  18. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Miles,

I have seen him elsewhere, but the name escapes me right now - maybe rr-lines??

Theoretically we could fix the links and see the pictures. You might try looking in the gallery for his shots, as I believe they were all loaded here. doctorwayne may have some better advice.

Andrew
  19. straight-track

straight-track Member

Whats wrong with my computer, to see only the infamous boxed red X, instead of Mad Cows pictures ?Joe wall1 wall1 wall1 :curse: :curse:
  20. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

See my post above yours...

There's nothing wrong with your computer - when we moved to Zealot, the links were broken because they refer to a place in cyberspace that has been "rearranged".

Andrew