Mad Max Interceptor (paperinside.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffro

Long term member
Back in the saddle...

It's been a long time between drinks, but I'm finally getting back into the swing of things. A recent decision to quit smoking has left me needing something to occupy my hands and fingers. :D

Unfortunately I didn't put a lot of thought into protecting the model while on hiatus so it's wearing a bit of extra damage, dust and has slightly faded a little along the way. I managed to polish up the supercharger a bit with a cotton bud though, so it's nice and shiny again.

sidewindow.jpg

blower.jpg

When I last worked on the model I almost gave up because my re-arranging of the build order had sortof backed me into a corner that made it hard to attatch a few parts, but the time away from it has helped ease the pain of dealing with those issues. The main problem was figuring out how to attach the wheel hubs and front grill area which I've basically overcome using tweezers and a bit of brute force.

frontgrill.jpg

Another obstacle was the ugly mess my wheels had become due to some kind of reaction between the glue and the edge markers I'd used which had left me with all kinds of weird green spots. The wheels were a daunting task to consider re-doing... not because they were hard, I actually love the way Claudio designed these, they come together quite nicely but man there's a lot of tabs to cut out :eek:

wheeltabs2.jpg

I decided to remake 3 of them and leave 2 of the green tinted ones on the side of the model that won't be displayed.
The following pic shows the comparison between old and new... still messy, but no more green.

wheels.jpg

This next pic shows one of the rear wheels in place and the "cheat" I used for the side pipes, they're basically plastic lollipop sticks that I cut some pieces out of with mitre cuts then glued together and painted with silver marker. It's definitely not the result I was hoping for but I'm somewhat rushing this now due to having printed my next model and being very eager to get a start on it (Another Claudio Dias Masterpiece).

sidepipes.jpg

All the wheels are on now, and there's not much left to go.... but each time I think that, I find myself scratch building some little bits and pieces to add detail here and there, so there might still be a few more updates left in this one. :D

More soon... the end is in sight.

Master-Bruce

WooHoo! Nice to see you're still at this one buddy. Are you sticking with what we last talked about as yor next build?

jaffro

Long term member
I sure am... It's printed and ready to go (double size, white "lines only" version) and I've got a few special things planned for it... but more on that later. :twisted:

Back to the Interceptor...

I'm now down to assembling and scratch building some minor details and "junk" to decorate the outside of the car and the rear parcel shelf. I'm not going to fill the rear seat with junk as originally intended cos you're just not going to get to see it once the car is finished. The next two pics show the replica Interceptor with all the authentic junk in place, and the junk I've made so far to put on the back shelf... As usual, macro is NOT my friend, that axe looks a lot better than this pic shows (umm, yeah, it's an axe :eek:ops:).

replicabits.jpg

bits2.jpg

As for the outside, I'm slowly adding a few of the intended details, like the air vent thingies above the sidepipes and a few of my own additions like chrome door handles and keyhole thingies...

sidepipes2.jpg

I've also started on my custom front end. This part has been doing my head in for a while now because of the way I shaped the hood... the original part just didn't fit anymore so I'd been trying to figure out how to fill the gap I'd created above the top of Claudio's original front grill. Today however I made a bit of a breakthrough, by deciding to watch Mad Max 2 while building the "junk" for the back shelf. It seems Claudio's model, and pretty much ALL the reference material I have gathered, is somewhat inaccurate. I'm guessing Claudio was working from similar reference material to what I found when scouring the internet for pictures and plans. Even the guys who built the replica cars have got it wrong.

This is how the replica's look, and the plans available online, and Claudio's model.

replicafront.jpg

However, this is how the actual car in the movie looks (I'm talking about the headlights and radiator/grill section mainly, the rest of this model is pretty inaccurate).

maxv8.jpg

/Edit: It seems I jumped the gun a bit, the scene I noticed in the movie was after the front had been knocked off or something, because while searching for a road texture to use as a diorama base I noticed there are some shots from the movie where the car still has the front end pictured above... not to worry though, I'm still going to go with the "roughed up" version cos I think it suits the car a bit more.

So with the few scenes from the movie showing the front of the car still in my head I set about making a new front end with big bulky headlights and a beaten up radiator / grill thingy. This next pic shows the front end so far, with a couple of experiments for the headlights themselves. The grill part is made from a piece of steel mesh I cut from the flyscreen on our back door (it already had a hole in it :D). I'm waiting to decide which headlight I will use, both are based on a piece of silver mirror cardstock with a criss-cross pattern etched into it, one is wrapped in plastic cling-wrap, the other is coated in a thick layer of white glue which I'm hoping will dry clear and be somewhat see-through so that the mirror card is visible... I think I'll have to wait a while for the results though, it's already been sitting like this for a few hours.

grilltest.jpg

Next I'll be adding the junk to the shelf, then I'll most likely have to wait for the glue to dry on my experimental headlight as I can't do much more till I decide which one to use.

jaffro

Long term member
Thanks guys. :thumb:

Well, it's been about 12 hours since my last post and the glue still hasn't dried, but where it has, it's a bit too clear, I wanted a slightly whiter look so I'm going to go with the clingwrap idea...

All the "junk" has been added and all that's really left now is to add the front end and scratch build what's left of the rear spolier so the next shots I add to this thread will be of the finished model, when I get more ink in my printer I want to try a small diorama to display it on, similar to what loenf does with his models.

jaffro

Long term member
Well... I think I'm done. For now anyway.

The car itself is finished, all but the two side pieces that belong to the missing rear spoiler. I gave up trying to make my own after a few attempts at it and the urge to start my next project has gotten too strong. :D

I'll try to add them when I get around to making the diorama base which can't be done till I get more ink for the printer.

Despite the urges to start my next project, it took me a good few hours more than anticipated to finish the Interceptor cos I kept finding little details ro ad at the last minute with extra laminations etc, I even scratch built a nice chrome and black bumper bar (fender for you US types) but in the end it didn't suit, or fit the front of the car after I'd added my custom front end.

I had to do a bit of tweaking to make my front end fit and look right, I did this with a few well placed strips of black cardstock and I'm pretty happy with the end result.

As for the end result of the model, well, it could be better... I made a bit of a mess of it due to my original intentions to paint the finished model, but I couldn't quite find the right colours to match the crappy colours of the printed model (I say crappy because I used cheap ink and a dodgy printer...). Claudio did a great job with the textures on this model, my printer and cheap ink let the team down, which is why my next project is going to be painted by hand.

I still haven't gotten over losing my old phone with the 3.2megapixel camera, myt current phone has a 2.0MP camera and you sure can noticw the difference in the final pics... it takes good macro shots though, but macro is NOT my friend. :D

Anyhoo, enough waffling from me and on with the "final" pics... I'll come back and redo these pics when I get a diorama to mount it on and/or a better camera.

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00171.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

Thanks again Claudio for this model, it was a pleasure to build and I can't wait to move on to the next one.

jaffro

Long term member
One more pic to add, this one's for Skip... a teaser showing the printed sheets from my next build, I got them printed at a print shop, enlarged from A4 to A3... double size... as you can see, it;s going to be BIG! :D

DSC00177.jpg

Thanks to Claudio for providing the lines only version... stay tuned for a new build thread. :thumb:

Master-Bruce

Oh boy!!!! This is going to be awesome!!!!!!!!!!

The Interceptor looks amazing too! Well worth the wait I think. Nice work buddy! Nice work. :)

jaffro

Long term member
My favorite is the cardboard box! : )

There's two boxes, one is a box, the other is a box of bits... I have no idea what he bits are, most of them are silver cardstock strips with various colours painted on the back of them. :D

Some of the inspiration for my extra details came from your Snowcat build. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.