Mad City Modelers 12th Annual Contest

Discussion in 'North America' started by cgutzmer, Jan 18, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well I just got back from the show - it was a really great time! Most people were really open to card modeling which was very nice. I met a lot of great people and it was super to meet Dave and Ryan in person! Looking forward to seeing them again sometime. Here are some pics! OK - a lot of pics - mostly Daves models..... The cars are Ryans as well as the Sopwith Snipe
    Chris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very cool Chris! Thanks for sharing all those pictures!
    I hope you made lots of converts and brought a lot of newbies into the fold.

Sure looks like a great way to spend the day, wish I could have been there too.

Russell
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very cool Chris! Thanks for sharing all those pictures!
    I hope you made lots of converts and brought a lot of newbies into the fold.

Sure looks like a great way to spend the day, wish I could have been there too.

Russell
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

That cutaway Mig 15 is just way cool. The exhaust nozzles on the Phantom are impressive as well. What kit is that?
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

That cutaway Mig 15 is just way cool. The exhaust nozzles on the Phantom are impressive as well. What kit is that?
  6. DrBill

DrBill Member

What a collection -- great job guys! Like a virus, we can take over the world, one infected convert at a time. (Not to imply that paper modelers are diseased, except on very rare occasions....)
  7. DrBill

DrBill Member

What a collection -- great job guys! Like a virus, we can take over the world, one infected convert at a time. (Not to imply that paper modelers are diseased, except on very rare occasions....)
  8. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

I Envy You Chris!

I have no idea why Vancouver (Canada) has no event like this whatsoever!:???:

Thanks so much for printing/distributing my stagecoaches - I really appreciate it!:-D

Was there a cross-section of models, or were they just mainly aviation/automotive related?

Terry
  9. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

I Envy You Chris!

I have no idea why Vancouver (Canada) has no event like this whatsoever!:???:

Thanks so much for printing/distributing my stagecoaches - I really appreciate it!:-D

Was there a cross-section of models, or were they just mainly aviation/automotive related?

Terry
  10. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Man, I wish I could have made it out there.

Great looking display!!!
  11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Man, I wish I could have made it out there.

Great looking display!!!
  12. sakrison

sakrison Member

That's GPM's F4 Phantom "Mig Killer" in Vietnam-era livery. Nice kit, went together well. And it's always an attention-grabber, in part because it's BIG. The Gomix canopy fits beautifully.

The cutaway Mig is from Fly Model's Mig-15/F-86 kit. When I put together the exhibit at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh, I wanted to show how the models were constructed. That seemed like a good way to do it. Looks great from the other side, too.

Chris and Ryan and I had fun preaching among the heathen today. One bonus from today's meet: Two of Ryan's models are going into the EAA exhibit--the Sopwith biplane pictured above and his Wittman "Bonzo" racer. The latter should be a special hit at the museum. I have to return a bunch of models to the museum on Monday morning and I'll take pictures of the exhibit for this forum.

I don't know how many people we converted but we handed out a lot of my flyers and a lot of freebies, caught a lot of people's interest. It never fails to amaze me that contest-winning plastic modelers will look at our paper models and say, "That's amazing; I could never do that." Maybe we should take simpler models so they don't feel so inadequate.

Nah, I like it when they feel inadequate.

One of my plastic modeler friends made an interesting suggestion: We should promote this as a "Green" hobby--no petrochemicals. I'll think about that for my next exhibit.

No worries,
    --David
  13. sakrison

sakrison Member

That's GPM's F4 Phantom "Mig Killer" in Vietnam-era livery. Nice kit, went together well. And it's always an attention-grabber, in part because it's BIG. The Gomix canopy fits beautifully.

The cutaway Mig is from Fly Model's Mig-15/F-86 kit. When I put together the exhibit at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh, I wanted to show how the models were constructed. That seemed like a good way to do it. Looks great from the other side, too.

Chris and Ryan and I had fun preaching among the heathen today. One bonus from today's meet: Two of Ryan's models are going into the EAA exhibit--the Sopwith biplane pictured above and his Wittman "Bonzo" racer. The latter should be a special hit at the museum. I have to return a bunch of models to the museum on Monday morning and I'll take pictures of the exhibit for this forum.

I don't know how many people we converted but we handed out a lot of my flyers and a lot of freebies, caught a lot of people's interest. It never fails to amaze me that contest-winning plastic modelers will look at our paper models and say, "That's amazing; I could never do that." Maybe we should take simpler models so they don't feel so inadequate.

Nah, I like it when they feel inadequate.

One of my plastic modeler friends made an interesting suggestion: We should promote this as a "Green" hobby--no petrochemicals. I'll think about that for my next exhibit.

No worries,
    --David