M48A3 Patton Tank Design

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by John Griffin, Apr 17, 2007.

1. charliec

charliec Active Member

Looks really promising. It's going to be a challenge to build that turret.

I'm not sure about lots of weathering in an M-48 - it never was used in combat so the only time it would get dirty would have been on exercises. I guess the US Army had the same view as other Cold War armies that cleaning tanks was a good way to keep the troops busy.

Regards,

Charlie
  2. charliec

charliec Active Member

Looks really promising. It's going to be a challenge to build that turret.

I'm not sure about lots of weathering in an M-48 - it never was used in combat so the only time it would get dirty would have been on exercises. I guess the US Army had the same view as other Cold War armies that cleaning tanks was a good way to keep the troops busy.

Regards,

Charlie
  3. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Charlie I suppose you're right about excess dirt and rust. The ones out here are just sitting out in the elements- and it looks as if they were left in a field for years before that. One is even missing the engine and rear decking, so you can crawl inside (if you don't get caught).
    I wasn't planning on just adding a ton of dirt and rust- but mainly just making it look used... 'wear' is a good word. The cast surface is somewhat rough and the raised areas of its texture get the paint worn and catch more scratches, stuff like that. The metal isn't flat and smooth like a modern plate vehicle. I really want to give the illusion of a cast surface (almost 3D, but printed). That roughness and the bulbous shape are part of why I like the 'ugly yet tough' older tanks more than the newer ones... it's sort of the same as for the early vs. newer jets (for me). They have more personality, as Carls said.

PS Can you elaborate about the 'whole milimeter sizing' thing you wrote? Are you refering to diamters?
  4. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Charlie I suppose you're right about excess dirt and rust. The ones out here are just sitting out in the elements- and it looks as if they were left in a field for years before that. One is even missing the engine and rear decking, so you can crawl inside (if you don't get caught).
    I wasn't planning on just adding a ton of dirt and rust- but mainly just making it look used... 'wear' is a good word. The cast surface is somewhat rough and the raised areas of its texture get the paint worn and catch more scratches, stuff like that. The metal isn't flat and smooth like a modern plate vehicle. I really want to give the illusion of a cast surface (almost 3D, but printed). That roughness and the bulbous shape are part of why I like the 'ugly yet tough' older tanks more than the newer ones... it's sort of the same as for the early vs. newer jets (for me). They have more personality, as Carls said.

PS Can you elaborate about the 'whole milimeter sizing' thing you wrote? Are you refering to diamters?
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

John, this looks like its gonna be another great model from you!
    Chris
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

John, this looks like its gonna be another great model from you!
    Chris
  7. airbob

airbob Member

There is one of these (M-48) located at an Armoury on Hwy 41A here in town.....:yep:
  8. airbob

airbob Member

There is one of these (M-48) located at an Armoury on Hwy 41A here in town.....:yep:
  9. charliec

charliec Active Member

I was making a plea to make builds a bit easier.

I've noticed that Modelik AFV models often use roll up parts from 80 gsm paper (copy paper). They often supply a target diameter for the roll up part so it's easy to make a guage out of heavy card with mm size holes (hole punch) to ensure the part gets rolled to the right diameter. It's a simple idea but relies on the designer setting the target diameters in whole mms.

Regards,

Charlie
  10. charliec

charliec Active Member

I was making a plea to make builds a bit easier.

I've noticed that Modelik AFV models often use roll up parts from 80 gsm paper (copy paper). They often supply a target diameter for the roll up part so it's easy to make a guage out of heavy card with mm size holes (hole punch) to ensure the part gets rolled to the right diameter. It's a simple idea but relies on the designer setting the target diameters in whole mms.

Regards,

Charlie
  11. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

mm sized holes

Got it. Great idea! I was planning on making ALOT of parts that way- including the tyres and rollers, guns, etc., if I can. For small parts you roll them and fit thru the mm sized hole... perfect and accurate. For the tyres I plan to build a disc wheel and then wrap a strip around the edge as a rim, and then a wind longer strip several times around that for the rubber. Seems alot more fun than cutting out all those sidewall profiles for the tyres.
    Since you are experienced in building tanks any advice you think helpful I will accept gladly.
    PS- From the last pics you might notice that I plan on a 'petal' design for the turret. Do you think that seems suitable for the shape?
  12. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

mm sized holes

Got it. Great idea! I was planning on making ALOT of parts that way- including the tyres and rollers, guns, etc., if I can. For small parts you roll them and fit thru the mm sized hole... perfect and accurate. For the tyres I plan to build a disc wheel and then wrap a strip around the edge as a rim, and then a wind longer strip several times around that for the rubber. Seems alot more fun than cutting out all those sidewall profiles for the tyres.
    Since you are experienced in building tanks any advice you think helpful I will accept gladly.
    PS- From the last pics you might notice that I plan on a 'petal' design for the turret. Do you think that seems suitable for the shape?
  13. charliec

charliec Active Member

It would be nice to get other AFV builders involved - like Jim Nunn and perhaps Maurice O'Brien - get different viewpoints. I doubt that my build methods would sit well with most people (build in weird orders, keep breaking out into scratchbuilt because I can see a cuter way to build, etc).

I think you might be stuck with your petal design because of the shape of the M48 cast turret - I guess it will only be worked out on beta build. I can see some possible issues with the match of the petal skin with the underlying support framework. Another possibility is segmenting the turret horizontally like Nobi did with his T-55.

I'm not sure about modelling the roadwheel tires by wrapping - I think this could get you into all sorts of trouble because you'd have to control the alignment of the wrap and it's final size very precisely - anyone can cut out a ring and align it reasonably accurately. There's also consideration required of the weight of a solid ring representing the tire on the suspension elements and the structure of the roadwheel. It's very easy in AFV models to design elements which are too heavy for other parts of the model to support.

Regards,

Charlie
  14. charliec

charliec Active Member

It would be nice to get other AFV builders involved - like Jim Nunn and perhaps Maurice O'Brien - get different viewpoints. I doubt that my build methods would sit well with most people (build in weird orders, keep breaking out into scratchbuilt because I can see a cuter way to build, etc).

I think you might be stuck with your petal design because of the shape of the M48 cast turret - I guess it will only be worked out on beta build. I can see some possible issues with the match of the petal skin with the underlying support framework. Another possibility is segmenting the turret horizontally like Nobi did with his T-55.

I'm not sure about modelling the roadwheel tires by wrapping - I think this could get you into all sorts of trouble because you'd have to control the alignment of the wrap and it's final size very precisely - anyone can cut out a ring and align it reasonably accurately. There's also consideration required of the weight of a solid ring representing the tire on the suspension elements and the structure of the roadwheel. It's very easy in AFV models to design elements which are too heavy for other parts of the model to support.

Regards,

Charlie