M-32 Doodlebug

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Chessie6459, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

On May 19th I started to take apart my Union Pacific M-32 Doodlebug. I decided it needed a new paint job so I took it completely apart. I am starting out with a primer coat. I have to touch it up in a few places but other than that it turned out great.

2 Hrs after painting
    [​IMG]

Underneath
    [​IMG]

Sitting On The Body
    [​IMG]

This view shows after the top of the stacks were taken off and with the pantograph just sitting there.

Top View
    [​IMG]

The other day before I started anything I removed the stacks completly. I drilled the hole for the screw that will hold the pantograph on top. Here are pictures to show you how far I got.

Over All View.
    [​IMG]

Top View
    [​IMG]

Side View
    [​IMG]

This little project will be on hold for a week as I am leaving saturday to go to the beach with the girlfriend and her family. Once I get back I will continue to work on this and get it completed.
  2. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

A pantograph? What are you converting it to?
  3. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Hi Matthew! Looking good so far but I too was surprised by the pantograph. Is your line converting to overheard wiring?
    Ralph
  4. Chessie6459

Thanks Ralph. I am going to make a section of the layout overhead wiring. I know I am modeling the Chessie System but the juice jack bug bit me.:mrgreen: It will be used in the urban areas of the layout once I get it up and running.:rolleyes:
  5. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Very cool! I often wish I'd made room for a little section of the Northeast corridor on my layout so I could at least have a GG-1 run by on a short visible segment from staging to staging. I understand that when the juice jack bug bites its irresitable! :)
    Ralph
  6. Chessie6459

Yeah it is. I also have a GG1 just waiting to stretch her wheels out.:mrgreen: Once this doodlebug is completed it will be lashed up with a coach car and a observation car.:mrgreen: Got to move the people around the layout.:mrgreen:
  7. Isambard

Isambard Member

Looking good! It appears as if you stripped the original paint scheme before priming. What did you use as stripper?
  8. soat204

soat204 New Member

Yea, Ive been looking into a good stripper for when i start repainting
    Let us know!
  9. myltlpny

myltlpny Member