Märklin Museum burglarized

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Märklin Museum burglarized
More than 100 historic pieces stolen from collection

MR Express

On the evening of January 18, 2005, unknown persons broke into the Märklin Museum in Göppingen, Germany, and stole more than 100 historic trains and other models from the museum’s collection. The stolen items, valued at more than $1 million, include O and no. 1 gauge trains and ship models produced prior to 1910. The burglars also took prototypes of OO/HO scale trains and the museum’s oldest piece, a model train produced in 1891.

A press release (written in German) can be viewed online at www.maerklin.de/museum/?redirect=diebstahl.html. The link below the headline of the press release contains the list of stolen items.

If anyone has information on this burglary, please contact Fred Gates at Märklin USA via e-mail at fredgates@marklin.com or by telephone at 262-784-8854.

Got from The Mrr Site:

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/005/683avajl.asp

C

Catt

What do you suppose these idiots are going to do with the Marklin stuff,sell it on Ebay? That stunt slould qualify as a Darwin in waiting award.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Boy, what a bummer. :cry: I doubt that anyone will ever see these on Ebay, just like someone just can't go peddling the Mona Lisa, or some other rare painting on the open market if they were able to get itt out of a museum. Unfortunately, there are too many unscrupulous individuals with far too much money that might be willing to pay to put these in some private collection that only they and a few chosen friends could enjoy. Sme real jerks out there :( :(

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
That is terrible. I hope that they find them and put them away for awhile. I have asked myself this question many many times, why do people do it? They know one day they are going to get caught. I hope they can at least get back a good bit of what they lost. It will be better than getting nothing back at all.

ausien

My thoughts exactly, my slant on it is: they want something for nothing, and are to B lazy to get a job and earn it for themselves... have a good one.. steve.