LV-426-Derelict, Alien by Vger1981

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Laser printers Eh? Personally, I would recommend that members use any printer that uses Pigment Ink as it embeds, using heat, into the fibers of the paper, and will not smudge when wet, not will it peel like Paser printers can do sometimes ( a lot of the time). Pigment ink is considered archival, lasting 100 years in U.V. light. Dye Ink printers disappear in the U.V., and smudge when wet.

If you live in the U.S.A., go to www.inkproducts.con, look at the printers they recommend, and then buy the Ink Refille Station from them, and buy the "Pigment ink printer they recommend. You can call this if you have questions, and will answer youo, but you must place the order. The amazing thing is they pck up the phone and talk to you. The "Ink Refill Station" comes with two larger bottles of large black Ink, two smaller bottles of the other color (6 bottles total) and if you buy one of the printers they recommend (they do not sell printers) they will sell you two filled sets of cartridges, ready to install, an Ink Jet cleaning kit, with cleaning solution, than you can Dilute 50%. The last kit lasted me two years. If I had purchased the equivalent cartridges, I would have spent around $1000 dollars. The Refill kit cost $200.

The Ink they sell is made by Dupont and is sold by the distributor for this ink. All Ink is made by Dupont. This is proprietary information verified to me by a brilliant engineer who designs these things.

www.inkproducts.com

Differences between Dye vs. Pigment Ink:

Dyes vs. Pigments
Dyes and pigments are similarly used to impart color to materials and finished products, but there are several important distinctions between the two. The primary difference is that dyes are soluble in their vehicle or substrate. When a dye is mixed with a vehicle, it produces a solution, whereas a pigment combined with a vehicle results in a suspension.

Category of difference

Pigments

Solubility

Dyes
Soluble

Pigments
Insoluble

Lightfastness

Dyes
Vulnerable to fading

Pigments
Resistant against fading

Bonding
Functional groups bond between dye and substrate

Pigments
Functional groups do not bond; typically requires a binder.

Structure during application
Structure alters

Pigments
Retains particulate form

Combustion properties

Dyes
Often combustible

Pigments
Relatively less combustible

Chemical properties

Dyes

Typically organic

Pigments
Typically (but not always) inorganic

Longevity
Dyes

Shorter

Pigments
Longer -

De vs. Pigment.png You can see in this picture how pigment Ink enters the substrate and bonds to the matrix (no, not that "Matrix!") and cannot easily be removed, if at all, whereas Dye Ink is water soluble, and will dissolve with many glues too, if over saturated, or you Elmer's Glue.

Today's Fun Fact!: :hide:

Last edited:

Jadriancz

Apr 9, 2016
Colorado
Zathros,
Thanks for the great info!
My problem is actually finding a printer that handles the cardstock thickness they claim. (ie., my current printer Brother MFC-J4620DW does not like cardstock paper even when using the feed tray). It barley manages 50-60lb.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Every Epson printer I've own handles 110 lb. card stock easily. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The ends were so smooth, I thought it was filled with foam or something!! :)

Reactions: Gandolf50

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
The ends were so smooth, I thought it was filled with foam or something!! :)
Me too!

I like the directions in the upper left as well, nice touch!
Great job, and I can see this would be one of those models that would be GREAT to GREEBLE out with panels lines reliefs the works.. on second thought... maybe you would need to be under 30 to start, as it might take ( with the details there already) another 20 years!

Reactions: Papa Mashy

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
These pieces look like some kind of "Alien Sausage", sliced up, ready to eat!! :)

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Pay careful attention to the alignment when you glue the exterior parts to the body. Use the texture as a guide, there are a few distinctive lines which have to match. And don't glue them the other side round (it is fairly easy; it happened to me! ;) ). :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
This is a great shot! As if the model was sliced up to be shown in some kind of cross section book. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Oh boy!! Dinner is about to be served!! ;)

Reactions: Revell-Fan

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That looks like one piece!! I guess it is now. ;)

Reactions: Gandolf50

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Larger than life, and you can barely, if you were to look hard enough, see the seams. It's what you would expect on the real thing! :)