LUT additional details added...on going

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by George B, Jun 24, 2007.

1. George B

George B Senior Member

Yup that would make for an impressive display. I'll have to wait for the Milkstool to be designed. ( ;-) )

The old MLP sides got tossed in the trash. I started to reuse them but it was not worth the effort, much easier to just build new ones.

BTW, the PCA's are coming along nicely.

Regards,
    George
  2. George B

George B Senior Member

PCA test fit

I'm all done with the design aspect of the main Cable Tray sections of the PCA's. Here's a quick shot of a test fit of the first section. As I had mentioned in a previous post, I'm cutting each section to length instead on cutting holes in the floor and running a longer piece through.

-Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

3. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Truely awesome work !!!!
  4. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

My worry regards not the reliability of the vendor but my ability to construct all the models that I am buying and that are accumulating: I am so slow! :cry:

Best, Nando
  5. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Placement of P.C.A's

Hi George,:wave:
    What references and guides are you using for your L.U.T build??
    I have a lot of the Reynolds,Smith and Hills Drawings,and a few photo's from the internet and that is all!!
    I am just trying to gather some details for my future build........
    P.C.A placement is a problem,I could only find two photo'swall1
    Regard's
    Wayne

Attached Files:

6. George B

George B Senior Member

I have all the Power Plan and detail sheets which show the orientation of the power trays. Sent me a PM with your email address.

Regards,
    George
  7. I am truly amazed at your workmanship. Verrrry nice indeed. I would build one if I had the room. I have the 1/96 Saturn 5 with it's puny little stand. This would be a nice addition. Maybe someday when Iget rid of some more models.

Current build: Fidlers DC-3 ,1/4 Merc (on hold)
  8. George B

George B Senior Member

Cable tray layout

Here’s an example of how I am going about the cable tray installations. I’ve super-imposed the Tech diagram with the image from the kit of the floor. I’ll then use this as my template for positioning all the cable trays for each floor.

It’s a daunting task but I’m going to start with tray #1 and work my way up until it ends, then start on #2 etc…etc…etc. I should be complete by next Christmas. wall1

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

9. George B

George B Senior Member

Deck mounted Cable Enclosures

Hey Guys,

Work is going smoothly on the Cable Trays and the Deck Mounted Cable Enclosures. I drew up the enclosures last night, this evening I got around to building them and setting them in place along with the Cable Trays. Here's a progress photo.

Beginning work on the Deck Mounted Enclosures with the maze of Cable Trays.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

10. George B

George B Senior Member

Pipe rack test fit

Hey Guys,

Here's a quick update with regards to the pipe work. The rack sub structure was worked as well as the expansion joints in the piping. The test fit photo was shot just to give you an early idea of what it will look like (some fine tuning left). Final installation will probably be one long piece....not sure yet.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

11. George B

George B Senior Member

MLP side 2 piping

Hey guys,

About the only thing to report is the installation of some of the piping and support bracketing on side 2 of the MLP.
    George

Attached Files:

12. George B

George B Senior Member

Level 160 piping

I've made up a section of duct leading up to level 160.

Attached Files:

13. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

This build just continues to amaze me!! Thanks for the continuous updates.
  14. George B

George B Senior Member

More design work.

Hey guys,

I've been designing the horizontal trays which are suspended along the ceilings at various levels according to the tech drawings. Here's my "first attempt". Crude but effective. :)

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

15. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

George,

You'll have a beautiful museum piece when you finish. Hope you're having as much fun building as we're having watching this thread.
  16. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

this build is absolutely beautiful! can't wait to see the final product. Nice work:thumb:
  17. George B

George B Senior Member

Horizontal Cable Tray Hangers

Hey Guys,

I'm glad everyone is enjoying this build...I am for sure! Thanks for all the positive feedback, it's much appreciated. :wave:

Below is a photo of what a finished horizontal cable tray with it's hangers ready for installation look like. Once I'm 100% sure where all the vertical trays go I'll start installing these. Basically I wanted to see if I could design one based only on the technical drawings. It fits perfect so I'll start working my way up. It sure has slowed this build down some.

I took a brave step the other day and sealed the entire LUT. I used Krylon's "Preserve It!" Matte #7027. It has UV protection and is acid free. I'm pleased with the results.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

18. George B

George B Senior Member

Side 2 Environmental Control System piping

Hey guys,

Side 2 Environmental Control System (ECS) ducting is complete for the most part but not yet attached to the LUT. I still need to add flanges at the expansion joints and add the brackets that held the ducts to the rack.

I elected to build the rack assembly in one long piece. It will still need to be removed to connect the ducting at the various levels. I thought it would make that task easier.

Here's the overall view of it.

[​IMG]

That's all for now,
    George
  19. George B

George B Senior Member

Gravity is your friend

Hey Guys,

The other day I was asked how I was going to support the horizontal trays while gluing. Well, gravity is your friend in this situation (upside down). I flipped the entire LUT upside down while working on the horizontal trays.
    Level 0 is close to being completely arranged. Installation of the others should start speeding up now that the maze on level 0 has been figured out. :yep:

Until next time,
    George

Attached Files:

20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Beautiful work, George!:cool:
    I am amazed at your progress! You have covered a lot of ground in a short time!
    What a phenomenal undertaking this model is and your progress is exemplary!

This one will definitely be a historical achievement on this and any other forum!
    Simply marvelous! Keep up the beautiful work!:thumb:

Russell