Low nose Geeps

trainwreck100

Hey y'all, just checkin in. Haven't been here in a while. Anyone know where I could find a low nose GP-7 or GP-9 of pretty good quality? I want to model the AT&L railroad, and that's what they use, along with a GP-10.

:) Thanks,
Greg

DanRaitz

Greg,

The only low nose GP7/9 that I know of is the Walthers. Nice runner, but body is TOO WIDE. I would suggest going with the Atlas or P2K GP's and doing a nose job on them.

Dan

Russ Bellinis

Dan is right. Old AHM high nose gp18 shells are cheap in junk boxes at GAT shows. The short nose is very plain and useful to chop down for low nose gp7's or 9's.

trainwreck100

Okay, just had a thought: I'm not much into the idea of cutting and gluing on a $100 locomotive for my first kitbashing project. But if I wanted to make it easier, how about bashing a GP20 into a GP9m? Does everything else fit into place about right? I just think putting a new low nose on something that alread has a low nose would be easier than putting a low nose on someting with a high nose.

Thanks y'all
Greg

Russ Bellinis

trainwreck100 said:
Okay, just had a thought: I'm not much into the idea of cutting and gluing on a $100 locomotive for my first kitbashing project. But if I wanted to make it easier, how about bashing a GP20 into a GP9m? Does everything else fit into place about right? I just think putting a new low nose on something that alread has a low nose would be easier than putting a low nose on someting with a high nose.

Thanks y'all
Greg

I think Trains Unlimited out of Denver Colorado still offers the old Front Range Gp7's and 9's in undecorated body kits for around $15.00. That would make a lot cheaper bash than starting with a $100.00 loco.

brakie

Greg, You can get there from here.You can start with a P2K GP20
All you need to do is add the paper air filter box behind the cab.As a option you could remove the 48" GP20 type fans and replace with the flat pan 48" fans.
You could also fill in the holes and add 4 36" fans.

Now,if you can live with the wide hood on the Walther's GP9m then that would be a better start..Also note this locomotive has a winterizion hatch like the Athearn GP7...
There is a company that makes a low nose kit for the GP7/9.All you need to do is remove the cab and low hood on the P2K GP20 and add the new cab and nose.

BillD53A

Kaslo Shops is coming out with a resin GP10 body in the near future. Check their website...the cost will be around $75.

Speaking of cheap shells, a friend of mine took a Tyco GP-20 and AHM GP-18 and made a low nose GP-18. It was close enough for a late model GP-9 that most people didn't know the difference and the rivet counters told to go get some decals and renumber it. :D I imagine the Tyco cab and nose would work on most any GP 7/9 that had the proper hood width, unlike the Walthers and Athearn units.

Cheers,
Greg