LOTW Sept 16/06: Passenger Diesels

spitfire

No - it's not Lord of the Wings.... it's Loco of the Week, for September 16/06 - Passenger Diesels.

Let's see your FP7s, your A-B-A consists, your C-liners, your Pioneer Zephyrs!! Let those retro streamliners and modern commuter trains fly!!

To start us off, here's my FP7 A-B-A consist heading up The Canadian. The first two units are Intermountain's newly released versions with DCC and sound in the A unit. They're straight out of the box, no weathering or detailing has yet been done. The trailing A-unit is something I picked up really cheap on ebay which I plan to convert to a dummy. (trust me, it's cheaper than buying a new dummy unit!)

Shot on the last remaining part of my layout that still has track. I'm starting over.

Val

Attachments

• FP7aba.jpg
    FP7aba.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 130

Herc Driver

Passenger Train Shots

Here's some of my favorites...

Southern E8/9 A+A train passing by and pulling into the station.
Santa Fe FT A+B parked.
Amtrak P42 Phase V pulling in to the station.

(P42 and E8/9 made by Kato...FT units by InterMountain)

Attachments

• P8020527.JPG
    P8020527.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 121
  • P8020544.JPG
    P8020544.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 127
  • P1010681.JPG
    P1010681.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 122
  • P9170771.JPG
    P9170771.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 112

FiatFan

Here's my P2K E8

IMG_0244.jpg

Tom

UP SD40-2

Attachments

• passs1.JPG
    passs1.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 116
  • passs2.JPG
    passs2.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 122
  • passs3.JPG
    passs3.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 116
  • passs4.JPG
    passs4.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 117
  • passs5.JPG
    passs5.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 115

doctorwayne

Nice locos, folks, and a good choice of subjects, Val.
Here's a TH&B GP-9 #403, one of three such locos that spelled the end for a TH&B Pacific and two Hudsons, in 1954. After the passenger trains shrank enough to be handled by RDCs, these locos were used in freight service, along with the line's GP-7s, as shown here.

100_5472.jpg

Both locos are old Athearn Blue Box, upgraded with the newer trucks and can motors. The paint is Polly S, no longer available, custom-mixed and applied with a brush. Lettering is also painted on, using C-D-S dry transfer lettering from an alphabet set as a painting mask, as properly coloured lettering was not available when these locos were done. The cab herald was done freehand, using a small brush. Both locos were detailed to match photos of their prototypes, with some parts from Detail Associates, and others scratchbuilt. The torpedo airtanks are from Juneco. The two locos were featured in Paintshop, in the February 1980 issue of Model Railroader. Both locos are heavily ballasted, for extra pulling power.

Wayne

spitfire

Thought you'd like that choice Deano!! :D :D

Wayne, I can't believe the effects you get with brush painting. I'm kicking myself for not asking you more about it when we met the other day!!

Val

cn nutbar

hello all---here's a sampling of the motive power that the cn used in passenger service

05092006001.jpg

27052006004.jpg

in real life,PA# 9078 never did receive this paint scheme---it served briefly(with a sister pa) on the cn as demonstrators and sported a gold and green livery,but cn chose not to keep these locomotives.when p2k brought out this model,i purchased an undecorated unit and asked doctor wayne to paint it as if the cn might have done so if they had kept these beautiful locomotives---hey,that's the beauty of model railroading---anyway,i think it would have looked good pulling the Super Continental

spitfire

Yes, you're right Andy, my bad. :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

I only noticed it after there were already replies to this thread, so...... I guess we could all stand to look at more awesome passenger power. :D

Val

Herc Driver

Doctor - write out a script for your truck/wheel set weathering colors...they look great! I don't know how you did it, but that grunge-brown dirty color is outstanding.

UP SD40-2

spitfire said:
Thought you'd like that choice Deano!! :D :D Val
YOU BET I DID!:thumb: AGAIN, THANKS Val!, GREAT CALL!!!:thumb: :D . what can i say, I'M AN ENGINE NUT!:D i cant get enough of those passenger engine pics;) . GREAT PICS FOLKS!!!:thumb::D :D -Deano View attachment 30006

Attachments

• DSC06645.JPG
    DSC06645.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 82

doctorwayne

Herc Driver said:
Doctor - write out a script for your truck/wheel set weathering colors...they look great! I don't know how you did it, but that grunge-brown dirty color is outstanding.

Thanks, but I honestly don't recall what colours were used on the trucks. At the time those locos were done, I was doing quite a bit of custom painting, so there were always (still are) lots of "mixed" colours sitting around. My best guess would be black, with either brown or boxcar red mixed in, along with some grey primer, but I wouldn't want to hazard a guess on the proportions. That would be Floquil paint, by the way.
I almost never throw out paint: if I mix up a colour for a particular job, the remnants often get combined with something compatible, colour-wise, left over from another job. I usually have at least five or six weathering colours on the shelf, and maybe 12 or 15 mixed colours, in addition to all of the as-yet unmixed colours. Probably the only colours that I use unaltered are SMP Accupaints, particularily the CNR and CPR colours. Everything else gets mixed with at least one other colour.

Wayne