Lost models....

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Dragos, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Hello everybody!
    I was checking this day some sites that offers many links to free models. You know them...
    http://www.d1.dion.ne.jp/~hamanaga/
    www.3dpapermodel.com.tw
    www.papiermodelle.de
    and so on. I've noticed that many links do not work anymore, that mean good paper models lost...:cry::cry::cry::cry:
    I've remembered that the same thing happened with Mamecraft site, but this is a happy case because the models are rehosted. How about the other ones?
    I was thinking : It's a bad ideea rehosting some of them? Is there a copyright problem ? I'm not talking about models that now are comercial , I'm talking about models that were free but the sites don't work anymore. Anyway I believe is a great loss. How about you?

Attached Files:

2. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

3. Paladin

Paladin Member

If the "legal" stuff can be worked out, it would be great to post them here. I have a great deal of them before the sites went "belly up". Some models I have managed to acquire by using a website that searches for files "floating in cyberspace". I have been successful at finding nearly a third of the sites that are no longer valid through normal means. I have also found that some sites in Asia have posted the models on their sites, (I have no idea if they actually have permission), and I was able to download them. For instance, the T-16 Skyhopper from Star Wars is no longer available as it was posted, but I found it through several other links, and posted on a completely different site. Some of these sites still have files for planes that were at one time free, but are no longer through the original site. Another example: I saw a file for a plane sold on Fiddlersgreen, available elsewhere for free. And sometimes they can be found on sites no longer existing using the wayback machine website.
    In all, I think that if permission can be granted, we should post anything that can be posted.
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Permission, is the key.
    We do have a download area for models and what-not but we must always have permission from the designer first, before we can host anything.

That's all I have to add.

"Kirk, out."
  5. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Yes you are right the PERMISSION is the key, but how to ask if the site is gone and also the designer's e-mail adress also ?
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I wish I had the answer because we still cannot host it here without permission.
    All I can suggest is a hard, relentless, search.
    If you want to provide it that bad, don't give up your search.:twisted:

Russell
  7. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Attached Files:

8. paper hollywood

paper hollywood Member

Paladin, if you happened to hint at the URL of that "floating in cyberspace" file-finding site, I'm sure several of us would be grateful. I been dealing with the"lost model" problem since I started my little link site, too (link below). As I went through my stored files looking for current links I found a few good models no longer avail. One I'd really love to link to is the "Flight of the Phoenix" plane. One day I may chase down the designer and offer to host it.

For any site operators out there, I'd like to suggest a free program called REL Link Checker Lite, which will scan your pages and check for bad links. I'll be using it regularly for my site.

Paper Hollywood
  9. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

I'm glad that more people join the effort to recover the lost models.
    Mean time new link for the AMX tank from 3pms, altrough I think I've posted long time ago...

Attached Files:

10. Paladin

Paladin Member

Just google "internet wayback machine" that'll find it real quick.
  11. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

yet another bad news , Toni Mauricio's site is dead ( http://perso.wanadoo.es/toni_mauricio/ ) his great models aren't avalable anymore. Anyone knows his email ? Maybe we can save something.
    I've tried the wayback machine and nothing :( ( I have the models somewhere in my computer, but I believe not everyone has them)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  12. logicman

logicman Greybeard

13. DarthPineapple

DarthPineapple Member

This link is still not working for me? It gives me just a blank page.
  14. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

You can find it on this Romanian forum