loop to Loop question?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by JoeGrapes, Dec 2, 2007.

1. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

I want to add a second main line to a basic oval Lionel O gauge track plan that I have now.I'm going to use a loop to loop route and because of the confined space for the loops I'm going to use O31 curves. Anyway, when the train enters the loop and goes around to come back on the same track do I need a switch where to two tracks come together? Will I have to activate the switch every time the trains runs around the loop? I want to let the train on it's own. I will use Lionel O31 (6-14062) switches.
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Many Lionel switches have a non-derailing feature, so they'll switch as a train approaches. What you're describing is called a reverse loop (since it goes in through a switch and comes back out through the same switch) and it's very popular and common. The train can run on its own.

I don't know for certain if the 6-14062 has the non-derailing feature, but I would imagine it does. Hopefully someone else here knows for sure.
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

By loop, do you mean another oval? A reverse loop will bring the train back going the other direction.
    Are those the electrically operated switches? Those should have an automatic changeover when a train approaches from the wrong side. The manual switches may have a different non-derailing feature.
  4. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

Yes, I mean a reverse loop. Bringing the train back on the same track in the opposite direction. I'm going to use remote switches with TMCC. I looked at track plans and see that's what is used and I know about the non-derailing feature of the switches, I just thought there was a different way of doing it. I guess that's how it's done. Ok, thanks for the help.
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Joe: that's it. There's a short section of rail beyond the frog that is isolated and hooked up to the switch machine. When a metal wheel makes contact, this throws the switch. I think on FastTrack it's already set up; on the old tubular track you had to put an insulating pin in the end of the rail and half the time pull the metal pin out of the next rail.
    There were other wiring tricks where you could wire the terminals on 2 switches together so that when one was turned, the other would flip at the same time.
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

if you are using fast track and dont want to fork over the money for the remote switch, the fast track manual switch will work and will not derail. you will not have to change the switch at all, just run ya train, no wiring needed,
  7. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

hhhmmmm...... a reversing loop on either end would make a cool shelf display......

*starts eyeballing the O gauge toys again......*
  8. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

lmao cant stay away from o can ya.

9. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Do any of you remember when Lionel gave you a little book that contained all the instructions and information you could need? Now they give you a video that hardly covers anything.
  10. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I just hate the fact that they're all sitting there in a box wiating to be run again.

At least they're not rusting in my aunt's basement anymore.
  11. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

ya, I should look pretty neet. Right now I have a single main line running around a finished room in my basemant. It's mostly at eye level and runs up and down a grade so you can walk under a bridge and dosen't take up any space so I can use the rest of the room. But I want to run two trains at the same time so I figured out how I can run a second line and keep it level by adding a reverse loop at each end. Although my wife things I'm nuts because I have to move a closet door over about 6" to clear the second track. Some blasting has to be done on any real railroad right? LOL
  12. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

That's right Joe. I blasted a hole in the wall of the finished part of the basement to get track through to the unfinished part of the basement and connected the old layout to the new in the unfinished part with a 12" wide shelf layout. Still haven't installed the TV camera so I can see what is happening on the other side. :-D
  13. RXRron

RXRron New Member

Thats the great thing about 3 rail trains, is no complicated wiring for a reverse loop, I have basically a shelf layout with a reverse loop at each end, it sure makes it easier to fit a loop into less space.
  14. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

RXRron, that's exactly what I'm planning on. Can you tell me if you're using O gauge track and what size switches you're using for the reverse? Also, have you had any problems with the train derailing from going over the reverse switchs so often? I'm not planning to control the switches with the TMCC but letting them switch automaticly. So do I still need to run a fixed voltage wire or can I run off the TMCC track power?