looking for

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Getter1, Aug 11, 2006.

1. c wiseman

c wiseman New Member

If you don't resent me for hiring the "Hit-Muse" to attack you, I would try my hand at a Beta-build. I am not an accomplished modeler, but if I can build it.... I would like to try my hand at the coloring though. I am a curator at a small museum and do a lot of exhibit design with photoshop. I have done some recolors on a few Fiddler's Green models and have one DrI entirerly covered in 5-color lozenge that came out kind of nice. The early German planes had a fairly simple three color scheme, bur dansls1 link to the fishscaled roland is pretty tempting.

But if you are looking for more experienced builders I totally understand. Either way, I look forward to seeing the finished project.

Chris Wiseman
  2. Janx

Janx Member

Getter more than willing to try my hand at a WW1 string thing for you.
  3. bob neill

bob neill New Member

i believe American Modeler magazine published plans and ran an article in 1964, but memory is rusty

bob neill
  4. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Getter 1,

I know that I've volunteered to beta build it in the past, but I've been languishing with Chris' Lightning Corsair build. Time has been a real issue, and fit problems (or most likely my experience level), have both made it hard to get back into it. The Roland looks like a real nice build, and certainly a plane that needs to be represented in card. Sorry to have to decline the offer.
  5. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Resent? quite the contrary :) I really needed to get off my rear and get back to working on this one.

Just PM me your e-mail addy and I'll get the file to you ASAP.

I also would love for you to do the re-color. If you've done a few FGs you're already ahead of me. The only editor program I have is MS Paint. I can't afford Photoshop at the moment.

If you're fimiliar with FG models then this one should pose no problem. It is a bit more advanced than FG's style but is deeply rooted in their basic conctruction methods.

The model goes together fairly easy. I've built 2 prototypes so far, and both went together without a hitch. I would say the difficulty level is lower moderate. The upper wing being mounted directly to the body and one heavy wing strut on each side really helps.

I look forward to working with you and thanks agian for the nudge.

Getter 1
  6. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Janx,

Just PM me your e-mail addy.

I think you'll find WW1 planes a blast.

Getter 1
  7. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

3-Views or model plans? If model plans then what kind?

I would love trying it as a stick and tissue model.

Getter 1
  8. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

rmks2000,

Time??? what's that???

No problem, time is something I'm sure most of us are short of :(

Lightning Corsair? I must have missed that one. I've been on a plastic binge of late.

Getter 1
  9. bob neill

bob neill New Member

3-Views or model plans? If model plans then what kind?
    I would love trying it as a stick and tissue model
    Getter 1

as i remember it was control line. i may still have the issue in a safe place (where no one will think of looking). i believe Guillows did a rubber powered version in the original 18 inch WW1 series. then again, i keep proving i should not trust memory.

bob neill
  10. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

as i remember it was control line. i may still have the issue in a safe place (where no one will think of looking). i believe Guillows did a rubber powered version in the original 18 inch WW1 series. then again, i keep proving i should not trust memory.

bob neill[/QUOTE]

Guillows has cut several WW1 models from their line nowadays. I've seen several kits of their's on E-Bay that I never knew they made. If it was made by Comet then it would be even harder to find as they are out of business :(

Getter 1
  11. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Ok - well I've started cutting on my beta of this kit. I printed the originals images at 30%, which according to Getter1's calculations should put me at about 1/38th scale. I'm going to attach a picture, sorry about it being blurry but my camera batteries are dead and it's just showing the basic structure so I don't think it's worth waiting and redoing.
    I already have a comment about the kit. I would recommend when the parts are colored to adjust the floor lengths to allow bulkheads 1 and 2 to have a front and back (and include a 'front' and 'back' in the kit). This would allow coloring of the inside of the cockpit for both the gunner and the pilot on former #2, allow the 'cut line' and the pilot area coloring on former one and provide a bit more rigidity of the whole structure. As is, I've had to transfer the floor line and the 'cut' line for the wings to the back of each of these formers.

Attached Files:

12. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Ok - so the first thing I noticed is that there isn't an easy way with the current design to color the inside of the cockpit. I decided to see what I could do to come up with a way. I first cut out the outside fuselage bit for the pilot area. I traced it onto another piece of cardstock and then set to trimming it to fit into the frame area. This also allows you to sandwich a piece of clear plastic for the windows - which i won't do for this beta.
    As I got into it, I realized that I could also add an instrument panel, and I think this structure will let me get away with cutting the front former before assembly (I'm leary about cutting into model bits after assembly if I can avoid it).
    So - here's where I'm at. Picture 1 is the pilot area. Picture 2 is the bit I designed (I traced the pieces onto a sheet of paper before gluing in case Getter1 wishes to try and incorporate the idea). 3 shows the fuselage section around the cockpit - with my added joining strips (from regular paper, not card) added.
    Another note - I had to cut former 2 a bit inside the lines to get the fuselage to wrap all the way around, even before I added the joining strips.

Attached Files:

13. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Looking good so far Dan :)

I'm hoping to start my build in 1/72 this weekend.

Getter 1