Looking for Tugboat for Layout

CSX

Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
www.freewebs.com
I am looking for an HO scale Tugboat for my soon to be built HO scale layout. Who makes them and where can I find them? I am awful at custom building. Thanks in advance!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
A number of guys in local clubs I belong to have completed mostly rolling stock kits, but have reported excellent results. I have not done any Sylvan kits myself, but am very interested in their line of 1930s vehicles... ;) I have completed a number of resin structure kits though.

Be sure to heed this advice when working with resin.

Andrew

Mar 25, 2005
Netherlands
There's an old Revell kit you might find on eBay. Kibri make a modern push boat, p801 in the Walthers catalog, plus a fire boat that could be modified, p797.Sea Port Model Works,p819, looks very like the old Revell model

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The Revell kit (harbor tug), is just a bit undersize, but not that noticably, and should be available at this time. Lindberg had a "Coast Guard Tug", and a "Diesel Tug", which you may be able to find. Best I can tell, the Model Shipways "Taurus", a wood and white metal 1/96 steam tug kit, should be available from Model Expo.
Pete

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
CSX said:
Anyone know of websites that would sell these models?

always check walthers. wlathers mad e atugboat, wether its retired or not is beyond me. even if it is retired, walthers sells just about everyone else's products as well.

if they don't have one, get a model railroader magazine. there must be 20 different ship advertisers in there. Ironicly now that i'm looking for one i can't find it, but usualy there are a few.

however, many HO ships are pretty big, and take up massive real estate on small layouts. just keep that in mind.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
yeah i don't know if modern tugs will be so easy to find. my grandpa builds tugboat diesles and stuff, and stockpiles parts for them. i'll have to ask about tugboats.

hd8091

May 20, 2004
I bought a steam tug from Model Expo in the correct scale.. I believe it was called the "Tarus". I haven't put it together yet but it looked reasonable, wood and metal, the only thing that might need replacing was the planking around the pilot house...they included a printed paperboard piece...I think I will replace that with wood..it would just be an overlay however as the basic shape is already there. I also got one of the Revell tugs off e-bay but it took a while to get one at a good price< S10.00...it is together, much simpler than the Model Expo kit...but all plastic of course..
Tom

isboris4449

Dec 15, 2005
Tacoma, WA
The Lindburg "Diesel Tug" is 1/82, not too oversized for HO. It is a model of a WW 2 U.S.Army (yes, Army!) design, and many surplus units made their way into the US maritime industry. If you search Marine Historical Society of Detroit, and go to their "Art of the Modelbuilder" section, you can see what several modeler's have done with them. The bueauty of this kit is it can be had for under 20 bucks

L

lester perry

A new LHS in my area has some on the shelf. They look like real nice boats from the box. I asked if he shipped stuff he said he could. The name of it is F&N Hobbies. Phone 302-653-7753 ask for Fred tell him Les told you to call.

stagingyards

Jan 21, 2006
tug boat

CSX said:
I am looking for an HO scale Tugboat for my soon to be built HO scale layout. Who makes them and where can I find them? I am awful at custom building. Thanks in advance!
the best thing I can sugest is go to www. walthers .com and look in there you might find something you like

hd8091

May 20, 2004
there is a bunch of Revell harbor tugs on E-bay right now. The scale is 1/90 and they seem pretty reasonable. I bought one about a year age for $10.00 .They are nice kits and don't look to large.

Tom