Looking for test builders

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by mig29, May 17, 2006.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Test Building The JAS-39A Gripen

Agrarflieger,

I read this thread on http://www.kartonist.de/ :
    http://www.kartonist.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=775

That´s when I realized the genius behind your fantastic Gripen build; you have used a paper that is coloured THROUGH with gray-silver dye or paint. That´s absolutely marvellous - no white edges to touch up!
    I wondered why it looked so good - almost like a painted plastic model . . .

This will be a turning point of my card modelling - time to start over . . .

Thanks!
    Bengt :D
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

WOW:shock:

I thought this picture was so realistic........... I'm using it as my desktop at work:grin:

Really great job on the big Gripen

Attached Files:

3. agrarflieger

agrarflieger New Member

Dear Friends,

Im a little bit abashed about your kindly words. It´s a great feeling to see my plane on a desktop at the other side of the world.:grin:

I will open another thread to show You a little bit more of my "Silverbirds".

best regards
    Agrarflieger
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hallo Agrarflieger,

You have done a truly remarkable job of Gabriel´s JAS-39A Gripen model. The precision of the assembly and the work on the details is simply outstanding.
    There is one thing though, that I´d like to remark on and that is something that I, too, have been struggling with in Photoshop on and off, namely the colour of the airplane:

The model:
    [​IMG]
    The Gripen:
    [​IMG]

I hope you don´t think I´m being too 'picky'. Your model is the finest I´ve seen in a long time.

Best regards,
  5. agrarflieger

agrarflieger New Member

Dear Bengt,
    You are right, the color of the Gripen is more grey then blue, but all printers have a problem to print exactly grey, also mine.

My picture source of the Gripen is here: http://www.trylit.isp.pl/gripen/ , and I think, there is a little bit blue at the plane :wink:

best regards
    Agrarflieger
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Dear Agrarflieger,

Yes, those pictures on the Polish site are very unbalanced - probably taken with a simple camera with an automatic white point setting.
    The ones under a blue sky have a really bad blue-magenta hue while those taken against a cloudy, white sky are a bit better, although they are a bit too dark.
    The pictures of the rear end of the plane (engine bell and tail fin) represents a little better the balanced middle gray colour of the plane.
    The nose and bottom of the plane is actually a very light gray, which looks darker when in shade.

And yes, gray is the most difficult colour to print - it can be too yellow, green, red, green or blue. You have to experiment and then check it in daylight to be sure. I converted Gabriel´s pdf files to Photoshop tif, to have better control of the gray colour.

Best regards,
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Agrarflieger,

The best (and sharpest) pictures I´ve found to date of the JAS-39 Gripen are on http://www.airliners.net/

Like this one:
    [​IMG]

Best,
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

That scaled up wonderfully! Can't wait for the official release!
  9. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Wow seeing how good agrarflieger's model looks I'm starting to get very ashamed of my build.
  10. mig29

mig29 New Member

Jas-39

I'm very happy to see such talented modelers putting together one of my models.
    As for the colors I'm using a HP930C so I calibrate the colors accordingly with this type .
    As for this model, I've found the colors codes I've found until now inadequate. I'm obsessed with the right colors and I'm still looking.
    Probably I'll put for free in this scale and totally redraw it in 1:32 scale as detailed it can be in a near future.

Best regards

Gabriel
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Wow, Gabriel,

That really is good news. I am looking forward to the 1:32 version.

Keep up the good work, dear friend.

Best regards,
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Very good news Gabriel, put me down for one in that scale!
  13. agrarflieger

agrarflieger New Member

Hello Friends, hello Gabriel,

that´s really good news, the model is very qualified for the scale 1:32.
    I´m thinking about building the model one´s more and to avoid any mistakes at this time.

@ getter1 : please dont stop building your model an please show us more of your pictures. I found any mistakes at my model while reading your building report.
    please let us participate at your wonderful building action!

best regards
    Agrarflieger
  14. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Oh, hey man I'm not gonna stop building it :D I was just comitting that your's is much better looking than mine. I think 65lbs. stock is the biggest problem I've had so far, just too many tight curves to shape with such thick stock for the scale. I usually use white construction paper for 1/72 planes but I thought a jet could be done in card but I should've gone with construction paper instead.

I'm down to the all the doo dads and should take a few pics before I get too far.

I've already finished my hunt for mistaks and submited my report to Gabriel. As I meantioned earlier mostly mislabed or ommited numbers on the part sheets or instructions I'm definentaly looking forward to the 1/32 myself. This is such a beautiful bird I would mind building it agian :D

When I'm done with this one I plan on building Gabriel's Mig 21 which the wife recently bought for me :D

Getter 1
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wow! Your wife bought you a model kit? My wife feels these things are a waste of time and that I should be standing at attention awaiting her whims!
  16. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Oh yeah as long as I'm modlin I'm not bothering her :p jk she believes in hobbies, her's is writing stories and watching movies :)
  17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I guess I should read and study your bottom line logo, maybe with the next one.....
  18. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Ok after another grueling week at work I am able to get a bit more done. Here she is with the wings, canards, cannon, and teh start of the detail parts.

Attached Files:

19. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Underside :)

Attached Files:

20. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

A close up of the cannon. I couldn't roll the card part tight enough so I replaced it with on made of printer paper then painted with Cidadel Boltgun metal. The gray edge touch up were done with Citadel Spacewolves Grey, a pretty good match up.

Attached Files: