Looking for Romulian Bird of Prey TOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getter1

Jun 28, 2005
Spokane, WA
Hello all,

I am wondering if there is a paper model of the Romulian Bird of Prey from the original series. Any help would be appreciated.

Getter 1

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
There is one commercially available, from a company called Simon Spotlight. It was published in 1997, and it is the punch and assemble variety. It comes up every so often on Ebay. I am pretty sure there are also some free ones out there somewhere, and I'll report them when I find them.

Getter1

Jun 28, 2005
Spokane, WA
Sumato,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to look the kit up by company name but if a free one is avaliable that would be great :D

Getter 1

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Getter1 said:
Hello all,

I am wondering if there is a paper model of the Romulian Bird of Prey from the original series. Any help would be appreciated.

Getter 1

Is this what you're looking for? Used to be a download from Smartgroups - the
author never responded to e-mails so it didn't get rehosted. If it is the right ship
PM me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

Regards,

Charlie

Attachments

• romulan.gif
    romulan.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,185

sneaker

Sep 23, 2006
Chandler, Arizona
charliec said:
Is this what you're looking for? Used to be a download from Smartgroups - the
author never responded to e-mails so it didn't get rehosted. If it is the right ship
PM me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

Regards,

Charlie

Would it be possible to get a short tutorial/description of the build of this? I have this model too, but if memory serves (and sometimes it doesn't) There are no instructions. Now I realize it is simple enough to figure out, but I had some fit problems with the hull fitting together. Just thought I would throw the question out there...thanks :)

panzer

Sep 23, 2006
Wuppertal, NRW, Germany
sneaker,

I've also had problems with this model. As far as I remember the sheets have a "strange" format, not letter or A4, and I found out that my mistake was a wrong printing setting in IrfanView that changed the aspect ratio. Maybe this is also your problem? But I haven't made a new try on the model so far.

Greetz

Andreas

R

rickstef

True,

But during the TOS time, or just before, there was some hinting, written as canon in various books, that the Romulan and Klingon empires had an allegiance, so that is why both Klingons and Romulans both flew Birds of Prey

Rick

S

sdk2knbk

rickstef said:
True,

But during the TOS time, or just before, there was some hinting, written as canon in various books, that the Romulan and Klingon empires had an allegiance, so that is why both Klingons and Romulans both flew Birds of Prey

Rick
Back when ST III: The Search For Spock was being made, I read that the villians were originally to be Romulans, but the "secret" leaked, so Roddenberry changed them to Klingons. The FX were already underway, so the Bird of Prey most of you know became Klingon. In the TOS episode "Balance of Terror", the Romulan ships were said to be painted like giant birds of prey, hence the origin of the term (as far as I can remember it, anyway.) The "alliance" was another TOS excuse to use the Klingon model over again. I seem to recall reading (in one of the "Best of Trek" books) that the first time the Klingon D-7 was seen on screen, it was actually the Romulan version.

The Bird of Prey people are looking for here was done by Marc Robitaille, I believe. If anyone has his email, contact him for permission to post the model in the parts bin. (I looked on the 1999 Eagle download page, but no contact info there.)

Scott K.

panzer

Sep 23, 2006
Wuppertal, NRW, Germany
Some detailled informations about this can be found on ex-astris-scientia.org, probably the best reference for ST Ships and "Treknology":

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/romulan_ships.htm

The real-world reason for using the Klingon ship in TOS: "The Enterprise Incident" is that the Romulan BoP looked rather clumsy and little detailed. Ironically, before the episode the ship appeared only in one brief scene in TOS: "Elaan of Troyius" as a Klingon design, so it was not yet firmly established as a Klingon ship. Anyway, "The Enterprise Incident" clearly calls the Romulan ships a "Klingon design".

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/klingon_ships.htm

The suggestion that the Bird-of-Prey (which is an originally Romulan designation after all) is a Romulan design comes from an early draft of "Star Trek III" where Kruge steals the BoP from the Romulans.

Other sources say that Romulans were intended to be the villians in the first script of Star Trek III.

But now back to topic: :)

Marc Robitailles E-Mail marcmarie@videotron.ca can be found at http://www.geocities.com/billysworld22/stmodels.html where his models of the Klingon D-7 and the USS Daedalus are hosted. In the "Parts Bin" of this forum charliec is hosting Smartgroup files with the permission of the designers and unsucessfully tried to contact Marc. I just don't know which Mail adress Charlie tried.

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
I had the a 3 model kit from the original series that had the BoP, D7 and Constitution class. I'm kicking myself for not having it today. =(

S

sdk2knbk

Panzer, thanks for the clarification. I was relying on my increasingly fuzzy memory. Interesting about the version with Kruge stealing the BoP, I hadn't heard that one before.

Scott K.

sneaker

Sep 23, 2006
Chandler, Arizona
Stev0 said:
I had the a 3 model kit from the original series that had the BoP, D7 and Constitution class. I'm kicking myself for not having it today. =(
Stev0: They are still pretty much common, I have 2 or three of the kits myself. You can have one if you like, all I ask is you cover postage, and giving the weight of the kit, it is not that much. I won them through various evilbay lot auctions.

:grin:

David

Yes, That 3 pc set shows up on ebay often. I also have 2 of them.

In the Show 'Enterprise Incident' I believe it it is Spock that explains the Romulan use of Klingon ships having to do with the updated Cloaking device. The Very Item they are there to "Aquire".

I also have 2 of this Kit W/light+sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.