Looking for photos of ATSF zebra stripe switchers

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
I am looking for photos of ATSF switchers in their old zebra stripe paint scheme, but I can hardly find any pictures. Can anyone help me, please?

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
cnw1961, i am NOT a big fan of ATSF, however, i looked through my pic archives and was able to come up with this one. sorry, its all i have, but perhaps it might help a little.:D View attachment 27037

Attachments

• SF h12-44 00.jpg
    SF h12-44 00.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 121

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
cnw1961 said:
Thank you, UP. That is exactly the kind of pic I am looking for.
cnw1961, NO PROBLEM!:thumb: , i am MORE THEN HAPPY to help a fellow MRR ANY time i can;) . THANKS!:D

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Tom, although I know the fallen flags site, I overlooked these pics because I was looking for older photos. Thank you.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Kurt, are you trying to model Zebra Stripe units? All of the Santa Fe Zebras had a few things in common. They were all switchers, either road switchsers like Gp7s or 9s, or the Alligators, or they were yard switchers. On all of them the zebra stripes were applied whit the point of the Chevron up on the front and pointing down at the rear. The stripes all wrapped around the ends a little. The stripes were just on the sill below the walkway along each side, but they wrapped all the way around the cabs below the window level on both sides. The one variation I found in pictures in my copy of Iron Horses Of The Santa Fe Trail is that most diesels that had battery boxes mounted on the walkway in front of or behind the cab had the boxes striped to match the cab, but a few models had the stripes on the front and rear of the battery boxes, but the side of the boxes painted solid black. By the way, on the Santa Fe the short hood on road switchers was always the front and long hood was always the rear, and the stripes on the doors at each end of the cab matched the ends of the loco, ie- the cab doors facing the front wu=ould have the point of the chevron facing up, while the doors facing the rear or long hood would have them facing down.

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
:wave: Russ...You're correct on every account except one. The Santa Fe's first Alco diesel, the RS-1 was delivered with the stripes on the front (short) hood pointing down.
This was an error on Alco's part, but Santa Fe didn't change it. All succeeding engines had the front stripes pointing up. I have several books full of the Zebra stripe pictures but don't know how to send them.

Dick
Texas Chief

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Thanks for the correction Dick, I'm in the same boat you are, I have books full of pics, but don't know how to put them up or if there would be copyright issues.

By the way for anyone interrested in Santa Fe motive power, the book Iron Horses Of The Santa Fe Trail by Worley is perhaps the most comprehensive book covering the earliest Santa Fe steam up to the Gp35's built in 1963. The original publishing date is 1965. The book has been long out of print and I've seen some at train shows where they are asking over $100.00 for used copies. I've heard that the Santa Fe Railroad Historical & Modeling Society is working on reprinting the book. I don't know if they plan to update it, or just reprint th original material. I would think the a reprint would be sufficient, there have been a number of books out since that well document S.F.'s newer equipment.

As far as the first Rs1 having the stripes backward, I missed that. Do you know the number of the unit? I have an Atlas Rs1 from the first run of Rs1's that they did disassembled with the paint stripped off waiting for black paint and zebra stripes. It might be interresting to do that unit just to cause a bit of consternation among Santa Fe fans who are as ignorant about that one unit as I was.

isboris4449

Dec 15, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Uploading photos here is very easy. After scanning the photos onto your computer, go to the General Interest Forum, click on "Guage Rules, FAQ's and helpful info. In the sub-catagories, click on "Posting Pics on the Guage" and follow the simple instructions. You will creat a gallery, and when posting a topic or reply, if you want to attach a photo, click on the "insert image" icon at the top of the dialog box and type in the URL

Tom

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Russ and Dick, that’s some very useful information, thank you. The first zebra stripe unit I want to model is a SW9. Unfortunately I cannot find a photo of a unit in its zebra stripes as it was delivered in 1953.

Russ, I don’t think that only the first RS-1 unit was delivered with wrong stripes. I found two photos at Fallen Flags showing RS-1s witth the stripes on the long hood pointing up: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf2394n.jpg and http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf2396alr.jpg.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Kurt,
I just looked up the Santa Fe switchers in my Iron Horses Of The Santa Fe Trail book. They are not specifically identified as Sw9s, but the 2418 class is identified as being 1200 hp EMD switchers. The first four numbers in the class are identified as "cow & calf" sets, known as TR-4's. I presume TR is the designation of transfer locomotives. The numbers on them were 2418 & 2418a, and 2419 & 2419a. If I'm interpreting them correctly then #2420-2438 were all aquired in 1953. #2439, 2440, & 2441 were rebuilt to Sw9 standards from 900 hp winton powered switchers built in 1937. I don't have any pictures of those units prior to rebuild, but the rebuilt #2441 looks identical to #2425 & #2438. On all of these units, the zebra chevrons point up in front. I don't have a rear view, but it would appear that they point down in back. There is a single horizontal stripe running from front to rear at the hand rail on the long hood with A. T. & S. F. above the handrail.
The radiator is mouted on the front of the nose and is not striped, but the top part of the frame around the radiator is painted silver from the continuation of the stripe at the hand rail over the top to the continuation of the stripe on the other side. There is a dual headlight mounted vertically above the radiator with number boards coming off both sides. On the left side of the locomotive about at the halfway point above the front truck is a ladder of grab irons going up the side of the hood. Right behind this ladder is the square logo with the circle cross inside it. Interestingly in the picture of 2425 the lettering above the handrail says A. T. S. F., the "&" is missing. The circle/cross in a square logo is mounted directly under the spot where the "&" would have been. On #2438 the "&" is where it should be and the logo is centered under the "&". The airhorns of both units appear to be single horns and are mounted to the front of the cab right under the roof at the center peak.On #2425 the stacks appear to be topped with screen wire spark arrestors. #2438 appears to have no spark arresters. In both cases the bell is mounted on the roof directly in front of the front stack. The distance from the stack to the bell appears to be about the same as one letter plus (.) in the A.T. & S.F. sign. The zebra stripes on the cab start at the top of the long strip in the long hood and wrap around the cab from where the front of the cab joins the long hood.
I hope this helps you with your modeling, Kurt. If you have anymore questions, post them and I'll try to see if I can find answers.
Russ

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
:thumb: Kurt...I guess I should have clarified my statement. I believe the stripes pointed down on the front of all SF RS-1's. To clarify further, the long hood on the SW and NW's
was the front hood only because they didn't have a short hood. Also on the SW's the very first ones out didn't have stripes at all. They were all black with white letters. The stripes pointed up on the front of every diesel switcher after the RS-1's untill about 1958 when they started painting them blue and yellow.
Tom...I'm completely computer iliterate. I don't know how to scan the pictures into the computer in the first place. LOL.

Dick
Texas Chief

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Russ, thank you for your detailed description of the SW9. There is only one thing I am not sure of: do the SW9 units that were aquired in 1953 (#2420-2438) have zebra stripes at the sides near the radiator and underneath it (like this Life-Like SW8 http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/920-7300) or do they only have the silver line on top of the frame of the radiator and no zebra stripes at the front?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I just took another look at the pictures and they have the stripes at the front exactly like the Walther's picture with one exception. In the pictures I have of #2425 & #2438 the area inside the footwells at the steps is solid black not striped. The pilot is striped, the area under the radiator is striped, but the inside of the footwells are black. On 2441, rebuilt in 1959, the stripes are in the footwells just like the model pictured in Walther's. By the way, I discovered that the 1959 rebuilds were sw1200 not sw9s, but both were 1200hp and they look identical, so I'm not sure what the difference was.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Russ, thank you once again. Now I think, I know enough to paint the loco. I ordered the decals today. It will take some time, but I will post a pic of the repainted SW9.