looking for Midwest Rail Models contact info

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Kitbashed, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Kitbashed

Kitbashed New Member

Does anyone have contact information for Midwest rail products from the US?
    They manufactured a powered trackmobile that I'm looking for, can't find any info on the web.

Thx
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Have you checked Walthers? It sounds like a company whose products would be carried by them.
  3. Kitbashed

Kitbashed New Member

Hi Russ
    I did email walthers and they gave me the name Midwest, however that was all the information they were able to give me. They also confirmed that they did manufacture the track moblie that I'm looking for. I'm hoping someone has dealt with them in the past and has their contact info.

Thx

4. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

It may be that the company has gone out of business. Many small companies went out of business in the recession following 9-11. Others in the model railroad business are small one man operations, and when the owner either gets to old to keep going or dies, there is no one to take over. You might have to kitbash your own. Get a suitable ho scale vehicle and Northwest Shortline still makes the pdt & other tiny drive units to use for the conversion. I would think if the company was still in business, Walthers would carry their product line. What also happens is a small operation will sign up to give Walthers exclusive rights to their line and discover that the work load is overwhelming. A friend of mine had an idea for a structure kit that he manufactured in his garage for Walthers. It was to be a part time enterprise to supplement his income from a regular job. the Walthers orders came in and he found himself working night and day to try to keep up, and finally decided to go out of business because he couldn't keep up and the profit margin he had agreed upon wiht Walthers wouldn't allow him to hire anybody to do the work.