Looking for info on new Plug & Play engines...

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by vanda32547, Aug 31, 2004.

1. vanda32547

vanda32547 Member

Greetings all,

I'm looking for some information on new plug & play engines that I can easily install DCC decoders in. All of my engines, I have checked checked so far, are not DCC ready and have no socket for DCC encoders. :(

What are the most popular brands of diesel and steam locomotives and what is the approximate cost?

Are they as easy to install as I have read?

How do you determine what brand/function decoders to buy for these plug & play installations? :confused:

I am also considering buying one engine with DCC decoder installed so at least I will have one train that will run right out of the box. Any info from you experienced DCC folks would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I think the new Locomotives from Atlas, Kato, or Athearn ready to run are all available with decoders installed. Check out www.loystoys.com They have a lot of good info on installing decoders on their web site.
  3. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

P2K's don't have them pre-installed, but they are *definitely* plug and play. Just took off a shell the other night, took out the old board, plugged in a new decoder (Digitrax DH163LO to be precise), put it on the programming track, and it's good to go (now I just have to finish painting the shell for, what else, the Rock Island).