Looking for ideas

jerobins

Mar 29, 2007
NW Indiana
Happy with town and water so far. Looking for ideas in the area behind depot and to right by spur. Campground, trailer park maybe. What do you think?

Attachments

• 72507 003.jpg
    72507 003.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 72507 004.jpg
    72507 004.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 11

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
I can't quite tell from the photo but I think there needs to be a road (maybe gravel or dirt) to the station from the main road.

I would have suggested "beach" but it looks like there already is one!

There's nothing wrong with leaving some "white space" on a layout. I would add a fairly large number of trees to the area as a bit of a divide and to draw attention back to the more developed areas of the layout.

jerobins

Mar 29, 2007
NW Indiana
A road is in the plan, just haven’t placed one yet. Beach area by town may be turned into a cove for boat docking. Thanks for the ideas. I like the tree and beach concept.:thumb:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Are you looking to add something to the operations?

If yes, then that's a "right nice siding" you got there. I can't tell exactly your timeframe, but judging from the loco, it looks like 1950s? Then perhaps a small-town coal and fuel oil dealer, a team track, and a scrap yard, all on the one siding...! ;)

If you're looking more for scenic options, then how about a "war memorial park" (complete with cannon), road & parking for the station, and/or community park with bandstand and dock for rowboats.

Andrew

jerobins

Mar 29, 2007
NW Indiana
Good thinking. Keep the ideas coming. By the way, the depot is just temporary, as I have not decided exactly where I would like it. Here is a older longer shot of the layout. There is a large open spot just out of the photo also on the right.

Attachments

• 72507 001.jpg
    72507 001.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 11

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I agree, a road leading to the station and a teamtrack on the spur wouldn't hurt.
Next to the lake you could install a "thirsty" industry: papermill or brewery for example but you would have to create an extra spur to that industry.

Dave R.

Jul 8, 2007
Sanford Fl.
I think the trailer/camping-park would be nice. I've thought about doing the Tee-pee shaped motel tourist trap/park when I can; if you want to scratch something easy.
Is that your "hurricane simulator", center, background? ;0)
Dave