Looking for Dimentions of N&W 611

CNWman

CNW Fan
Hi all:wave:
In my CAD class, I'm currently drawing the sole surviving GS-4 complete with color. My classmates think I'm nuts/insane:lol::razz:tooth1, but my teacher really likes my work, and he's given me a special assignment: Draw up N&W 611. He rode the train about 20-30 years ago, and after seeing me draw up a 4-8-4, requested if I could modify the basic shape of the daylight into the 611. I tracked down a basic sketch, and from that I can tell I need to start from scratch, for the 611 and 4449 are almost nothing alike! However, I don't know some critical information, like the engine length, how far apart the driving wheels are, height, etc. Can any of you guys tell me these things? I really want to do this mainly because I get my kicks from drawing these things and this teacher is on of my all-time favorites.

There were drawings of the NW 611 in Model Railroader in the mid 70's IIRC. You could get your dimentions from that.

Greg

railohio

Go to Roanoke with a tape measure and notepad?

Failing that, I've seen some original N&W locomotive plans pop up on eBay in the past, but it'd probably be cheaper to buy that plane ticket to Virginia...

~BS

CNWman

CNW Fan
There were drawings of the NW 611 in Model Railroader in the mid 70's IIRC. You could get your dimentions from that.

Greg

That's a great idea, only problem is I don't know where the heck to find MR's from the mid 70's, mybe the guys at the NMRA might help...

CNW, that site contained just the stuff I needed! Thanks!

railohio, I'd LOVE to crawl all over the 611, but that's probably not allowed, plus I can't take any sudden plane trips right now, and I'm not allowed using E(vil)-Bay for pretty obvious reasons.