looking for any info on AHM 2-8-8-2 mallet. NW.

blooeyz

Apr 8, 2008
Hello fellow railroaders....newbie here just today.. looking for any and ALL info i can find on AHM/ Rivarossi 2-8-8-2 mallets...they any good , say when compared to Proto 2000 2-8-2-2's ?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The biggest problems with the old Rivarossi/AHM locomotives was that pancake motor is a very weak link and they don't last. There is a fix, Northwest Shortline makes repowering kits for the old Rivarossi locomotives, but I don't know what they cost. The other problem is the "pizza cutter" flanges that the Europeans used to put on all of their rolling stock. If you are going to run code 100 track, they won't cause any problem. If you decide to use code 70 or even 83, you may find the flanges run on the ties and lift the wheels above the rails

90MACII

Aug 10, 2008
CINCI,OH
Go with the new loco`s that are out now,I have three of the old ahm/riv and can`t wait to replace them with a Proto or PCM.you won`t be sorry.I got a BLI Bigboy and i love it.

CNJ999

Aug 21, 2004
Let's be realistic for a moment. No 30-40 year old model's design is going to begin to compare operationally with something made today. Technology has advanced a great deal over the period - would you really consider it reasonable to buy a used 1970's car, rather than a new 2008, today? The choice is about the same.

CNJ999

90MACII

Aug 10, 2008
CINCI,OH
I hope that i helped and did not confuse you.i will get certain old diesel`s that are oop and work on them. Dd40`s,i want to update them.railpower was on to a great thing. When rtr 90macs came out from the big company`s ,alot of people dumped rpp kits.i want there 90mac kits to work on.one day i will make my ahm/riv compounds better.i respect railroaders and the equiptment they had. Love big steam and diesel loco`s.thats why i say buy a new steamer and work on the older one`s.you will have the best of both worlds and learn how to craft.