looking for a new model

asaf

Apr 15, 2006
hi,
I'm 39, new at that hobby.want to purchase a good and popular set for a layout.
need a recommendation from your experience for a good brand :Marklin, Bachman, Atlas, Atheam etc'....
Thank you,
Asaf.

L

lester perry

Find a local hobby shop that sells a lot of MRR stuff. Or find a local model railroader and ask for his help. I would suggest do not get it from a department store.
Les

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Fron your list, all are good. They are all compatible (except Marklin), so you aren't limited to the first one you buy.
Some makers (bachman, LifeLike) have different ranges and quality usually improves with price. Avoid the lowest price ranges. Sometimes with higher prices you are getting more features and details, but no improvement in running; depends on what is important to you.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
yeah i think the best starter sets are the walthers sets, and the athearn ones.

however, the best route is to just buy your own equipment seperate. you may be able to get higher quality stuff for less than the cheapo junk, and best of all it will already be in whatever roadnames you want, not what the set has picked out for you.

asaf

Apr 15, 2006
green_elite_cab

Hello and thank you for your brief information. I read it all.
Now I have to decide. the only thing I know - that I want HO scale.
Just few more questions: is it possible to connect few companies to one layout?
for example: Bachman with Athearn ? I mean could one type go on another track?
what kind of HO you have?
from what Internet web you buy them???
Thank you.
Asaf.

green_elite_cab said:
yeah i think the best starter sets are the walthers sets, and the athearn ones.

however, the best route is to just buy your own equipment seperate. you may be able to get higher quality stuff for less than the cheapo junk, and best of all it will already be in whatever roadnames you want, not what the set has picked out for you.

asaf

Apr 15, 2006
jim currie said:
:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave: most any maker if you just rember " You get what you pay for" if its a low priced item then most of the time quality is low also.

Hello and thank you for your brief information.
The only thing I know - that I want HO scale.
Just few more questions: is it possible to connect few companies to one layout?
for example: Bachman with Athearn ? I mean could one type go on another track?
what kind of HO you have?
from what Internet web you buy them???
Thank you.
Asaf.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Asaf, welcome to the Gauge.
Most HO scale trains will run on most HO scale track. Trains from just about any manufacturer can be intermixed. Some brands of track will not readily join with certain other brands, so it's best to research this before investing a lot of money in any one brand. A good way to learn more is to buy a couple of magazines: Railroad Model Craftsman, Model Railroader, and Mainline Modeler are all good choices, and there are others.
Another good research tool is right here on the Gauge. There is lots of information available in any of the Forums. You can also go to the Photography Forum to see pictures of what others are doing and to see some of the products that you might be interested in. Don't be afraid to post replies to those that you wish to have more information about, as most people are glad to tell you more about their models.

Wayne

N

nachoman

For the most part, all HO will run on all HO track - does't matter the brand. Even the couplings between cars is standardized so one can connect cars of different brands. There are exceptions. As noted, Marklin uses a completely different system. And then there is the issue of DCC. All DCC equipped locomotives are compatible on every DCC control system, but someone else will have to fill you in to whether DCC locomotives will run on standard DC and whether standard DC will run on DCC controllers (I have no experience with DCC) Thre are two types of couplesrs - the knuckle types and the "horn hook." I don't know if any manufacturers still sell new cars with the horn hook, but older cars and used cars may have them. As for the track - for the most part, all is compatible. But there are several brands of track with attached plastic roadbed, and those are not compatible with each other. Track also comes with diffferent rail heights. Most is code 100, some is code 83. For beginners, it is probably best to stick with all code 100.

kevin

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Asaf:
This is the response to your pm.
Marklin have a different system than anyone else in HO. (Maybe someone in Germany makes compatible equipment; I don't know). They have a 3rd rail pickup (actually suds -- little metal bits on the yop of each tie). They also use AC for power, with a jolt of extra-high AC to do the reversing.
They have a DCC system, but because of the 3rd rail, they can't be used on a normal 2 rail layout. Their wheels and axles are not insulated, so they short out a 2 rail layout.
Quality-wise, Marklin is reputed to be the Mercedes-Benz of model railways, but their control technology is stuck in the 1930s.
The only other 3 rail HO gauge I can name are Hornby Dublo and Trix Twin. Hornby Dublo ceased over 40 years agi; Trix twin even earlier. Bot of these had DC motors.
Marklin does have a line of 2 rail DC trains -- I forget what they are.

asaf

Apr 15, 2006
Thank You

Hello Kevin,
Thank You very much.
I'll have to decide.
I'll be glad to keep in touch.
Asaf.

nachoman said:
For the most part, all HO will run on all HO track - does't matter the brand. Even the couplings between cars is standardized so one can connect cars of different brands. There are exceptions. As noted, Marklin uses a completely different system. And then there is the issue of DCC. All DCC equipped locomotives are compatible on every DCC control system, but someone else will have to fill you in to whether DCC locomotives will run on standard DC and whether standard DC will run on DCC controllers (I have no experience with DCC) Thre are two types of couplesrs - the knuckle types and the "horn hook." I don't know if any manufacturers still sell new cars with the horn hook, but older cars and used cars may have them. As for the track - for the most part, all is compatible. But there are several brands of track with attached plastic roadbed, and those are not compatible with each other. Track also comes with diffferent rail heights. Most is code 100, some is code 83. For beginners, it is probably best to stick with all code 100.

kevin

asaf

Apr 15, 2006
Thank You

Hello David,
Thank You very much.
I'll have to decide.
I'll be glad to keep in touch.
Asaf.

60103 said:
Asaf:
This is the response to your pm.
Marklin have a different system than anyone else in HO. (Maybe someone in Germany makes compatible equipment; I don't know). They have a 3rd rail pickup (actually suds -- little metal bits on the yop of each tie). They also use AC for power, with a jolt of extra-high AC to do the reversing.
They have a DCC system, but because of the 3rd rail, they can't be used on a normal 2 rail layout. Their wheels and axles are not insulated, so they short out a 2 rail layout.
Quality-wise, Marklin is reputed to be the Mercedes-Benz of model railways, but their control technology is stuck in the 1930s.
The only other 3 rail HO gauge I can name are Hornby Dublo and Trix Twin. Hornby Dublo ceased over 40 years agi; Trix twin even earlier. Bot of these had DC motors.
Marklin does have a line of 2 rail DC trains -- I forget what they are.