Looking for a large scale freighter

mechatech

Dec 19, 2006
Hi all from Canada. I'm mostly into plastic models but big scale anything gets my attention.

Some time ago I stumbled across a site that described a super detailed very large card model of a freighter. The kit originally started out as a study model for naval architecture students. Only the center section was offered. The students would build the ship exactly as the real thing from laying the keel, setting up the frames, running pipes and ductwork to applying hull plates. The parts were cut and assembled from card as if one was working with plate steel itself. Later the bow and stern were offered to make a kit. A search using the ship's name turned up a store in the UK that still offered the kit. It contained 18 lbs of card and cost about $300 (I can't remember exactly but it was large and expensive) The finished ship was 5 ft? long.

I since have lost all the links and forgot the name of the ship and repeated searches turn up nothing. Does anyone here know more?

C

cgutzmer

Well first off welcome to the site! Knowing its a freighter will help, is there anything else you know about it? Nationality, what was it designed to haul, civilian or military? Anything will help!
Chris

sakrison

Banned
Jul 5, 2006
For a less expensive project, why not buy Halinski's "Jeremiah O'Brien" Liberty ship (1/200), scan it, and enlarge it to 1/100. The detail is good enough and crisp enough to survive the enlargement. And that would be a big model--somewhere around five feet long--for a lot less than $300. (And you get a destroyer in the same kit. Such a deal!)

No worries,
--David

sakrison said:
For a less expensive project, why not buy Halinski's "Jeremiah O'Brien" Liberty ship (1/200), scan it, and enlarge it to 1/100. The detail is good enough and crisp enough to survive the enlargement. And that would be a big model--somewhere around five feet long--for a lot less than $300. (And you get a destroyer in the same kit. Such a deal!)

No worries,
--David

And....Tah Dah!... It's in Color!

Russell

mechatech

Dec 19, 2006
Yeah! :grin: That's it. Thanks for help. I checked out http://www.kartonbau.de/thread.php?t...1915e60429779c. But the site is gone.

I've always been the type "go big or go home" so I'm thinking about it. At 7 feet display space might be a problem.... then again building it might be a problem, I'd need my own shipyard.... a card model shipyard - hmmm.

Update: here it is http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=678 Steep price but I guess you have to look at it from a finished model point of view and the experience of working with 4500+ parts. Yikes! :shock:

missymouse

Dec 25, 2005
i got a nice 1:100 scale shipyard, 2 regulus models, one renamed vivian, albatun, the taurus tug and the HMCS agassiz, tho if some one could enlarge the jeremiah o'brien to 1:100 and willing to share the info for the details and how to properly scale and fit to 8.5x11 paper, please do :)

Leif Oh

Jan 27, 2004
Goteborg, Sweden
S/S Gowerian

You should check this 1:100 scale model, the Gowerian (the big version below):

grobi.jpg

From the "Kartonwerft" site. It should be possible to enlarge it from 1:100 to 1:87 without too many problems. The price is 20 euros.

Leif

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
And there's an on-going but currently inactive project of designing a 1/87 scale version of the freighter "VENTURE" from the latest "King Kong" movie that has been going on at the Kartonbau.de site:

http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?postid=117508#post117508

They have created a "resources" page which seems to contain all the work done to date:

http://www.padrigu.gu.se/ohlsson/C/venture/venture.html

Our good friend Leif Ohlsson is behind this project, so you might want to drop him a line on the current status of his project. As you will note from the posts on that thread quite a number of very talented individuals are contributing to this project.

Cheers!
Jim