Looking for a "Laker" class, 3-Island Tramp steamer

modelmaker 2001

I'm looking for a paper card model already printed out or one that I can download and print out of a World War One-era tramp steamer, sometimes called a 3-Island steamer or a "Laker" class steamer. I want to build this in 1:96 scale or something close to it, 1:72 up to even 1:120 or so. I'm attaching a few photos to give you and idea of the kind of ship that I'm looking for.

Attachments

• h65097.jpg
    h65097.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 179
  • h65091.jpg
    h65091.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 96
  • h82224.jpg
    h82224.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 223
  • i02000.jpg
    i02000.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 84
  • SS Edgar F Luckenbach i04825.jpg
    SS Edgar F Luckenbach i04825.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 101

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That sure is a romantic ship. I love that era and find these ships to be really beautiful. Sounds strange, but I can understand your interest in a ship like this. I'll look around and see if I can find anything. You might want to check out this thread: http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147373

:)

b86e20aee4eba0ee.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Just found this, in previous post of mine is a link to a thread here of a similar type of ship model. :)

modelmaker 2001

That is very much like the type of ship I'm looking for. It looks like a very small scale ship, though. I'm guessing about 1:700 scale, maybe? It's very interesting how many people complimented the builder on making it such a neat and clean build. I always think of these ships as cluttered and somewhat weathered. But it was a nice building job and thank you for the link!

Attachments

• h68583.jpg
    h68583.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 54
  • h71561.jpg
    h71561.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 47
  • i02002.jpg
    i02002.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 58
  • i05213.jpg
    i05213.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 50
  • SS Edgar F Luckenbach i04832.jpg
    SS Edgar F Luckenbach i04832.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 52

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I think this is something that will have to be scratch built. I could make the Hull if I could get some decent pictures (3 way) or formers, line drawings, etc.

mdsohio

You might also find more info and drawings for these type of ships if you look for Hog island steamers. A type of steamer built during WWI in Philadelphia, at Hog island. Interesting enough, its also where the term hogie came from describing the sub type sandwich!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
It's "Hoagie", at least when I lived in South Jersey it was.

@modelmaker, you have idea how long I liked for "tramp steamer", and ever other iteration. Plenty of scanned stuff, which to be honest, if they won sell in the U.S., then well,need I say more? I almost feel like making one but I have a tugboat and like 6 other models that I should be working on, but the rarity of this bothers me. :)

Can you find any good line drawings, with hull templates, profiles, etc.? :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That would be cool. Plans that have the information similar to the plans below are best. :)

Attachments

• Hermes.jpg
    Hermes.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 100

mdsohio

The detroit historical society has a plan for a classic laker. if i can find a link for it i'll put it here. I believe the plan cost me $10.00 a few years ago and it was at 1/96 scale. It was called the Lake Dancy plan. hope that helps. And yes, they were initialy called "hogie" (Hog island) sandwiches but over the years became Hoagie!
MDS

Ps my mistake, its now 24.00 on 2 sheets.
https://detroithistorical.org/shop/ship-plans/lake-dancy

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I would not buy something like that without at least seeing part of the pages, even watermarked to death!!

modelmaker 2001

Here are some plans that I've found...,

Attachments

• Plan-28.jpg
    Plan-28.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Plan-29.jpg
    Plan-29.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Plan-30.jpg
    Plan-30.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Plan-47.jpg
    Plan-47.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Plan-48.jpg
    Plan-48.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 118

modelmaker 2001

And a few more freighter plans...,

Attachments

• Plan-49.jpg
    Plan-49.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Plan-51.jpg
    Plan-51.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Plan-53.jpg
    Plan-53.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Plan-63.jpg
    Plan-63.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 86

mdsohio

Bowling green university has an incredible amount of pictures of this class of laker, among others, ill see if i can track down a link for that. As far as the plans go....if you get extremely lucky and find plans online for FREE..good on ya! Other wise its, Detroit or Loyalhanna! Their not cheap either, and i agree, if your going to pay this much for plans at least include a thumbnail to give you an idea of what your getting!
mds

modelmaker 2001

Here are some more plans that I found.

Attachments

• Plan-15.jpg
    Plan-15.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Plan-35.jpg
    Plan-35.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Plan-52.jpg
    Plan-52.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Plan-63.jpg
    Plan-63.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Plan-53.jpg
    Plan-53.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Plan-51.jpg
    Plan-51.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 79

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Hey, those are pretty go0d. I can make a Hull from those, I am, 99% sure. If I make the Hull, can you do the Superstructure. The final result would have to be a free model tough. I will be laid up from Nov. 8th for a couple of weeks. :)

modelmaker 2001

The superstructure should be relatively easy since it's all straight lines. It's the complex curves of the hull that intimidate me.

By the way, I'm really only looking for a water line model if I decide to include this as a part of the harbor in my HO-scale train layout. A full hull model is cool, too, but not really needed.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
t's almost easier to do the whole hull, then have the waterline option right in the same file. What is HO scale, I forget.