Looking For A Font

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Cannonball, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I need a font to match this one to fix up an old Norfolk and Western hopper. I've spent the evening sifting though bunches and none seem quite right. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Yeah, you are right. It’s often difficult to find the perfect match. I searched through my fonts and could not find the right one. Even if the N and W are close, the & is totally wrong. Perhaps N&W did not even use a common font or they modified some characters for their use. If I need a few characters of a font and can’t find the right font, I draw them with a program like CorelDraw. It only takes a few minutes. Take the best picture you can find and copy it into the program. Now you can easily draw along the edge of the characters to get a perfect copy. If you have problems doing it, send me a good picture of the N&W characters and I will do it for you. Sometimes it’s much easier than trying to find the right font.
  3. HOtrainman

HOtrainman Member

look in your sig.- the "CANNONBALL"- i reconize the N(just make it bold)

I might be wrong
  4. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

HOtrainman, sorry to say, that he can’t use the font of his sig. It is a Roman type. The kind of font with these big serifs he is looking for, is called Egyptienne or Slab Serif. I have some fonts like that in my font collection, but the & is always wrong.
  5. Cannonball

I can find an & that will work if I can find the N and the W. It might not be exact but I've got a few that are pretty close for that one. It's just matching the serifs that's difficult.
  6. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Here is what I have on offer. I may find some more, if I am digging really deep. If you like any of these (I think Aachen is the best match), send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you the font.

View attachment 34802

Attached Files:

7. Cannonball

Found this one:
    Black Slab XXL
    Then I stretched the hight another 20%

Attached Files:

8. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Not bad :thumb: . Only the serif of the N of Aachen (Aardvark) is better. BTW, you can download Aardvark as a free font on this site: http://www.freefonts.de/.
  9. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

You might contact Microscale with the pic and ask them which alphabet set is closest. I checked their web site, but there are no images available on the site for the various railroad alphabet styles they offer.

http://www.microscale.com/index.htm

I tried the Woodland Scenics web page, but they had no listing on their dry transfer alphabet decals.
  10. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Russ, a dealer over here in Germany has pictures of all the Woodland alphabets on his website. I looked it up, but Woodland only offers Roman and Gothic alphabets, no Egyptienne (Slab Serif).