Looking for a bright idea

jmurphy148

Nov 8, 2007
Cape Coral, Florida
I'm building a new layout approximately 38x85 inches. The talbe top will be covered by 1" foam. The layout was designed in WinRail. I have printed it out full scale on 45 sheets of paper which I have accurately taped together. I have the full size printout lying on top of the foam and now my question is "How do I transfer the tracklines from the paper to the foam"?

Any bright ideas out there?

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
You could use a pin and go along poking lil holes all along wher its gonna go or easer go to Wally world and in the sewing dept they should have a small pizza cutter type thing that will do the same thing but you just roll it along!!
Or put carbon paper under the pages and pencil over the lines!

mummert

Jan 18, 2007
Pa
I would second the idea of the little pizza cutter looking thing. The ones I have seen look like a pizza cutter with small points on them. That would make a good impression on your foam. Another cheaper idea would be to trace with a pen and apply a little bit extra pressure that would transfer it as well. If you have a hard time seeing the impression possible going over the impression with some chalk may highlight the impression. Never tried this though. Hope this helps

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I tried the carbon paper idea. It worked about as well as a lead baloon. I did however, do the same as you in printing out my whole layout on 8.5 by 11's. I then placed that over the top of the foam and at short intervals, I poked a whole through the paper and into the foam with a pencil. I then removed the paper and connected the dots. If you could find one of those pizza thingies, that sounds a lot easier. Just make sure your paper is attached to the foam or when you start rolling the pizza cutter around, the paper is going to move.

zDCP_4430_low_res.jpg

zDCP_4433_low_res.jpg

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
If you don't mind a mirror-image track plan, photocopies or laser-printed pages will transfer their image with heat. Lay the page printed-side down, and run a hot iron over the back - voila! Instant transfer!

Other than that, the pounce-wheel suggestion is probably the best, if you don't want the paper there. I just glued the paper down, and laid my roadbed right over it.

mcbane666

Dec 30, 2006
Edmonton AB
web.mac.com
Get your self a glue stick(or a few) and glue the pages to the table, then just cut everything out after that isn't track, lay the road bed on top of the paper that is still glued to the table