Looking at digital cameras need sugestions

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
I've been playing with a number of aspects of the hobby.

I am now at the point where I wish to be able to take photographs.

My wife, the land agent, and CEO of the Iron and Oxide Railroad has a camera, I've tried it and have discovered that it has several drawbacks.

My question is what would be a decent camera to take pictures of a N scale model railroad with?

Here is an example of what I can currently do.

Attachments

• im000301c.jpg
    im000301c.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 36

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I use a Fujifilm S602 Zoom 3.1meg SLR:

cars_on_water.JPG

erosion.jpg

cactus_promo.jpg

Pictures on the OO scale Pacific Coast Air Line Railway

I don't know what the equivalent Fujifilm camera presently sold but I am happy with the results.

Just a thought
Harold

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I have also taken pictures with a Kodak 2.2meg DX3600 fixed focus pocket camera.
opening_mogul.JPG

The old On30 Pacific Coast Air Line Railway

Handheld and bad florescent lighting

Harold

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Boy, that's a tough one. Digital cameras, like computers, tend to be obsolete by the time you get it home. I used a Vivitar with 2.2 meg pixels for about two years. Although it took good pictures, the battery life sucked. I bought an Olymus C5000 5 meg pixel on a close-out sale. I'm pleased with it, and the one smaller battery lasts 10 times longer than the four large AA batteries the other one used. One problem with most cameras today is that they have so many operating modes that you can get confused. I've had my Olympus for about a year now, and I'm still not sure I know how to use it to its best advantage.

One thing, PC Magazine, PC Word and a few others usually rate cameras as well as computer gear. If you want info on the latest and greatest, that's where to look.

Good luck.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Don, I always take those Magazine "ratings" with a grain of salt.
Far too many times I have seen a good review for something I know to be inferior, then I check out the advertisers in the magazine and find out why the rating was so high.
They do not want to lose a multi-page advertiser.

Money Talks...

You want an honest answer, go to an Internet forum on the subject and just read for awhile.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I use a Fuji Finepix A210. I do have trouble in roomlight w/o a flash, a feature not available in macro mode, but I'm pleased for the price. Love that prickly pear cactus, Harold. :thumb:

Attachments

• frech.JPG
    frech.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 34

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Thanks for the link Raildog.
I just checked out my Fuji E500. According to Steve, the Fuji FinePix E500 is worthy of consideration and, with an MSRP of $299, a good value.

And now with the price down to $279.99 Canadian, it is even better.
I have seen it online for $199.99 US.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Raildog, thanks for that link. It's good to know that a camera you own gets a good independent review, and that you paid a fair price for it. Although, the C5000 was the top camera in one of the PC mags a while back, but I'm sure it's no longer in production.

Will, there is a point in which you have to have faith that these magazine ratings have to be a mostly unbiased. Like all things, you can buy something and think it's a dog of a product, but your neighbor has one and he thinks it's great. Yeah, they have to protect advertising revenue, but they would lose credibility and readers if they weren't honest in their appraisal.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Don't bet on it Don. :D

Case in point right now...

Everyone is giving glowing reviews to the iPod Mini. However, dealers at The Source by Circuit City stores here in Canada are having no end of problems with them. Apple even reduced their warranty from one year to 90 days. What does that tell you?

But the magazines keep on sying "buy an iPod".

Raildog

Dec 18, 2003
Central Florida
naphotos.nerail.org
Steve's guide has been invaluable to me on a number of occasions, for 35 mm recommendations and video too. There are just too many choices to put it all together yourself. I also think you have to trip over yourself to get a really bad camera in todays market. Sometimes my choice between three similar cameras would be to choose the one using AA batteries. I'll bet I've saved the cost of a new camera using rechargeable vs. the costly throw aways.

Unfortunately magazine reviews rarely say anything bad about a product and I don't blame them. It's their advertising revenue that keeps them afloat. I doubt a subscription cancellation from few angry readers, steered toward a poor product, would make the same difference that a monthly add from a major advertiser being pulled would.

Here's another one.

FlatHopper3-vi.jpg

Trbulnc

Feb 27, 2005
I'm a big fan of the Canon Elph SD400, actually just purchased one for my father also, really small, fits in your pocket and takes great digital pics. 4.0. I picked one up on ebay for $250 with all the software included.

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Thanks for the information folks.

Raildog, I'm going to spend some time at that site you provided the link for.

Nice pictures, and the closeup stuff is a big part of what I'm going to be interested in. I'm a long way however from detailing my plastic toys at the level you have.

Will, I think I'll also spend a bit of time seeing how the CEO has her camera set up. If I change it and forget to change it back, she'll get a hunting license and it is bear season up here ;-).

I hear you on the lighting Bob, that is another problem I seem to have.

Harold, I looked at a couple of Digital SLR cameras last year, they are nice but, a bit out of range for me. I'm busy putting green stuff into locos currently. I have 7 on reserve. I have at least two more roadnames I need to get some power for.

trainworm, I looked at your pictures and your camera appears to do the job also.

Jack, now you done went and done it, I had to join yet another Yahoo group to look at pictures. I haven't even thought about uncoupling needs, I currently use a jewlers screwdriver to bust knukles.

Thanks for the wishes of good luck Don. I know where you are coming from, when people ask me about computers I say the same thing.

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
Digital Camera

My first digital is the Fuji Finepix E510. The only problem I have had with it is taking night shots, and seeing the digital screen in low light. Other than that it takes excellent pictures of both model and prototype and I have been pleased with how easy it is to use. Go to a store where you can play with different cameras, use the focus and you will figure out what feels good in your hand, what zooms well, and price of course. Then come home and do an internet search on the model and you will find non biased review sites to help. Every camera will have pros and cons you just want to make sure you can live with the cons. Also buy from somewhere where you get a 30 day money back guaranty, that way if you dont like it you trade it for another. Good luck!

Cory

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
When I upgraded to my SLR I looked at what features I needed and found a lower megapixel camera that was "last years" state of art. I only have a 3.1 megapixel camera but it is good enough for most uses. Magazines will accept pictures done with only 3.1meg. Lane Stewart, a Sports Illustrated photog, had a clinic and he uses a 3.2 Nikon for magazines. As he said, more pixels can be added in Photoshop to please the editor.

horse_breath.JPG

An HO horse and mylar water rippled with gloss medium

Harold