LONG Trains and Grade Climbs

Roger Locniskar

Apr 29, 2006
I have the complete Kato P42 Amtrak Phase III set (2 engines+10 cars , yeow!) and Unitrack, I also have a 9'x5.5' table to work with. The question of the day is given this massive train length (~6') what is the maximum, a) can I get this thing to climb, b)if so at what climb rate (.25" over 4'?) or should I just keep it flat. A little lift would add interest. I was hoping for a about 3 teirs up then a down to the station. Comments, thoughts, snide remarkes.

Roger

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
What scale? Are both engines powered? If both are powered in ho scale, Kato engines will have no problem pulling a 10 car passenger up any reasonable grade. In n scale, I don't know. You'll have to wait for one of the n scale guys to chime in

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I've got an N scale Kato Amtrak EMD F40PH DC engine that pulls a lifelike dummy, two baggage cars, and 12 passenger cars up a 4% grade with no problem. The big factor for you is how much rolling resistance does your train offer? If all of your cars glide along (as mine do) and roll forever, it should not be much of a problem. If however, several of them act like anchors dragging through the mud, good luck. That reminds me, I've been waiting for the decoder for that engine forever. I'll have to contact my LHS and see what the hey!

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Roger:

Rule of thumb for inclines in model railroading is you don't want to exceed 4% grade. That's 4 inches of vertical rise per every 100 inches of horizontal travel. Above that, engines tend to experience wheelslip.

Personally I don't go above 2% grade because I like to pull long trains sometimes (20+ cars).. The longer the train you pull, the gentler the grade should be.

Hope this helps!