Long Live Atari!

Discussion in 'Gaming & Toys' started by summerson84, Jun 3, 2007.

1. summerson84

summerson84 New Member

I've worked on this for a couple of days, and it's finally done --- a scale replica of the Atari 2600: the video gaming machine that many of us can probably fondly recall from our childhood days.:):)

[​IMG]
    Comes in a pure white box.

[​IMG]
    Lid can be lifted to be used as a display case directly.

[​IMG]
    Removing from the box.

[​IMG]
    Atari 2600!

[​IMG]
    Comes with a cartridge of the classic Ms Pac-man.. fits into the slot on the Atari.

Cheers!
    :)
  2. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I think these are great, this one takes me back to my childhood.

How about a ZX Spectrum.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That looks awesome man! Did you paint the console? I did move this over to the gaming section - the gallery is more for letting people know when you have posted pictures into the gallery on the site here. Thanks for showing this to us - you really have a knack for designing this type of stuff - right down to packaging!
    Chris

p.s. this was my first gaming system and I still have it in a box here :) although not an original box
  4. summerson84

summerson84 New Member

THanks! hmm no i didn't paint it, but I went over the white parts (at the scored folds etc) with black marker. Which I'm not sure whether it's a mistake, because the black markings are starting to fade to a dark shade of blue (??). On close inspection, the flaws really start to show and I really hate that because I love detail.

Do u have any suggestions on how to get rid of the white parts that are because of the thickness of the paper?

the PS3 model I made has white lines all over:( I'm thinking of painting over them with a really thin brush, but I'm afraid that the paint might just spill over the sides (onto the printed surfaces), then the model wouldn't look good.

How do u guys get rid of this problem?
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I color the edges with a black sharpie - it has never faded on me. Watercolor pencils also work very well. :)
    Chris
  6. summerson84

summerson84 New Member

What size tip do you use for the sharpie?

hm. The problem is, the ink kind of moves through the paper by capillary action and smudges around. Do u get that problem?
  7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I had the capillary 'thingie' when I built my space 1999 hawk. I used a black marker on the inside on the engine bells, made a right mess. Now I use Tamiya paints, they are water based and don't run through. You could use the same method using a tiny brush.
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I move the sharpie along VERY quickly. I also sometimes get a hunk of old card and color the bejeepers out of it to get some of the excess ink used up :)
    Chris
  9. summerson84

summerson84 New Member

alright point taken! Thanks:)
    I'll see whether it all works out on my new models:p

Btw have u all seen these little japanese replicas of household items? from food, appliances to decorations... they come in little sets.
  10. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

One thing I do with the sharpie is if I can color the edge before the part is assembled I run the marker across the back of the part near the edge so the capillary action takes the ink to the edge and usually does not bleed thru to the front. This takes a bit of practice and is by no means guaranteed. If it does bleed thru the front noone usually notices since I always have much larger errors in my builds anyways! :p

PS: That is one great model there, dont know how you guys do these so small. Thanks for sharing it with us!
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Good point kevin. I do that as well. I never color after the part is assembled. I do it right after cutting out.
    Chris