Long Island Railroad Passenger Train*Pic Heavy*

YmeBP

I was out in long island for a family event and the place we stayed was 2 feet from a trian station, actually the last train station on the island :). I got lucky and snapped off a couple shots of the loco and cars from abotu 20 to 30 feet away.

li+058.JPG

li+062.JPG

li+063.JPG

li+064.JPG

li+065.JPG

li+066.JPG

li+067.JPG

li+068.JPG

li+069.JPG

li+071.JPG

My two little railfans

li+073.JPG

In this series i think the train started moving

li+074.JPG

li+075.JPG

li+076.JPG

li+077.JPG

li+078.JPG

li+079.JPG

li+080.JPG

li+081.JPG

li+082.JPG

li+083.JPG

li+084.JPG

li+085.JPG

li+086.JPG

There are higher resolution on my website: LIRR Passenger Train

I was very interested in the ballast and how they put it down.

myltlpny

That looks like the South Shore of LI. I grew up around Lake Ronkonkoma and move out to the North Fork in my college years. The end of the line there culimnated in a turntable in Greenport. It hadn't been used for years by the time I lived there, but my boss who was probably 20 years older than me, used to tell stories about how he and his friends would motor on down to the turntable at lunch time, watch them turn the loco around, then give a big cheer (It was a small town,:mrgreen:)
The "station", a small hut by the tracks, was still operational when I lived there (going on 20 years now). You could still get on the train and make your way all the way into Penn Station.
Man, I must be getting old. I still remember the "Dashing Dan" logo on the boxcars. Not to mention the F-units (push-pull) that headed the commuter train.

YmeBP

You have great eyes! It was Montauk station it is on a small sliver of land between a lake and the bay. Here is a map:

Live Local Search

That looks like the South Shore of LI. I grew up around Lake Ronkonkoma and move out to the North Fork in my college years. The end of the line there culimnated in a turntable in Greenport. It hadn't been used for years by the time I lived there, but my boss who was probably 20 years older than me, used to tell stories about how he and his friends would motor on down to the turntable at lunch time, watch them turn the loco around, then give a big cheer (It was a small town,:mrgreen:)
The "station", a small hut by the tracks, was still operational when I lived there (going on 20 years now). You could still get on the train and make your way all the way into Penn Station.
Man, I must be getting old. I still remember the "Dashing Dan" logo on the boxcars. Not to mention the F-units (push-pull) that headed the commuter train.

Johnr0836

My family vacationed at Montauk in the mid fifties and we went to watch the train arrive one day. The cars were "air conditioned" by blowing air across ice blocks that were housed under the floor. Must have been real humid. If I remember correctly they had a wye to turn the engine around.