Lone Wolf Operators:

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
How often - if ever - do you have more than one train running simultaneously on your layout?

My current layout construction project is designed as a point to point, with an option for continuous running, either single or double-track main line, so the most trains I can run at the same time is two.

My question, however, is do you ever have more than one train running at the same time on the same track?

I'm using DC & power-routing turnouts and have thought about switching to DCC, but I can't justify the cost, since if I run more than one train during a session, I put one on a passing siding, then run the other train by it, etc.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Hardly ever run more than one.... I only have the ability to run 2 engines so I most always run the Climax and let the other sit.. i do have the U25 B on the loop on the celing - i run that too, but it's above the layout :D :D :D

Fluesheet

My layout is a double folded dogbone with dcc control (no serious "operational" capabilities, excepting a small yard). Occasionally I'll get the bug to run two trains until eventually one comes too close to t-boning the second at the lone crossover. Usually because I slow the crossing instead of the approaching train.

The resulting minor panic attack prevents me from running two again for awhile... :)

RobertInOntario

I usually just run one. Quite often, one has to shunt down a siding to make room for another coming through but I seldom operate two at the same time -- I can only concentrate on doing one thing at a time! :mrgreen:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I have a long folded dog bone layout with what is essentially a very long siding that follows a good part of the main with some spurs coming off it. This "siding" runs from one side of the layout to another and connects two towns. I can run one train continuously on the mainline while another train can switch cars along the "siding". I like all of the action!
Ralph

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
I have two seperate main lines and so can run two trains simulataneously without conflict. Often, I will dispatch two more out of the yard for a total of four... two on each main. That's about the time something derails or uncouples and then I'm doing the mad button punch scramble to get the right engines stopped without messing up the others!

steamhead

I generally operate two trains at once....One on the main, and the other doing yard work. This is on DCC. It wasnt until recently that I ventured to run both on the main at the same time. I just have to keep the speed of one of them matched to the other's.
On my previous layout I could run two on the mains since they were on two separate loops. Just by chance, the outer loop turned out to be just about twice the run as the smaller loop. So every two runs on the outer loop, the trains would match up and come down on the two tracks side by side...It was great..!!!

doctorwayne

My DC layout is intended to be operated as a point-to-point-to-point, and I may eventually create blocks to permit a second operator to run on any one of the three lines. For now, though, it's all one block, with one operator operating one train at a time.
The only time that I run multiple trains is when the grand kids visit. I do let them each (age 5 and 3) run a complete train, one at a time. However, their greatest enjoyment seems to be when I put a lone diesel on the track, with the lift-out at the doorway in place to allow continuous running. I operate the throttle, and as they wait at various spots around the layout, I keep adding, unseen, more locos. I also re-route or delay the one that they're expecting, so there's a squeal of surprise when an unexpected loco pops out of a tunnel. Eventually, unless I manipulate the power to the different track sections, the locos will begin to catch one another. Last session, we ended up with 14 or 15 diesels coupled together, roaring around the layout. Lotsa fun. ;):-D:-D

Wayne

FiatFan

Another lone wolf here. I can run two engines at once as long as one is running laps (DC). I can then perform switching tasks in one of my towns. I'm not good at multi-tasking (some would say I'm not good at single tasking) so that's about all I will ever run.

Tom

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Another lone wolf here. I can run two engines at once as long as one is running laps (DC). I can then perform switching tasks in one of my towns. I'm not good at multi-tasking (some would say I'm not good at single tasking) so that's about all I will ever run.

Tom

This is very similar to the way I do things when I want to see a train running when I'm switching or even just working on a project on the layout or nearby.

I have two interchange yards and a grain elevator complex that I've isolated from the main line. They each have their own throttle so I can switch those yards while one or even two trains run on the main lines.

Most of the time, though, I run the layout as a straight point to point between the interchange yards (it's about 5 scale miles between them, and there are about a dozen industries along the way), sometimes with a westbound through freight, an eastbound through freight, and one or two locals, plus the occasional passenger trains to keep myself on my toes :mrgreen: