Lol Humor!

Sir_Prize

SKY-WAY DRIVE-IN
in Medina (new local); Akron (original local); and Highland (I think, new also), Ohio.
Still doing the car hop, just last year started hiring ladies to hop.
Best burgers, milk shakes, and fried mushrooms I ever had.
:D :D :D

Dang! Now I'ma hankering for some. :(

Vic

Isn't it interesting how the description of something varies in different parts of the country? Here in the deep south (notice the spellings) a Drive Inn is a place where you are served in and eat in your car. A Drive-In is an outdoor movie theater where you watched movies ( and maybe did other things:D ) from/in your car.

Example: "Me 'an Loretta gonna go to 'da drive inn and 'eats us a bar-b-cue 'an then we gonna go to 'da drive-in and see 'tha new John Wayne picture show".:D :D :D

RI541

When I was a kid we would ( if we were good ) would go to Dogs & Suds. It was an A&W drive inn. I was most impressed with the way the tray attached to the drivers door...TOOO COOOL for a 5 year old.

Then there was the drive in theater I went to once to see Star Wars. That theater is no closed but theres one about 10 minutes from my house that me and the wife go to a couple times a year, And if the kids are good we let them come too.:) :D :)

I have noticed that now I'm married I find myself actualy watching the movie.

I must be getting old:eek: :eek: :eek: :(

davidstrains

I remember the drive-in theater in Rochester, NH in the 72-78 time frame. several times we took the kids to a movie there and got "fogged" out. Fog so thick that you could cut it with a knife. Got passes for the next weekend and the same thing happened. I don't know if we ever saw a show.

rockislandmike

I miss the A&W drive-ins. I was in Houston a couple years back, and there was a Sonic (with car hops) half a block away. Excellent milkshakes !!!!

And while I remember drive-ins, there was one not too far from our house for a good portion of my teenage life, I have never been to one. I think I mighta missed out!!!!

It wouldn't surprise me if one of y'all made a model where there is a drive in and you put two people (man & woman of course) in the back seat of a car. :D

jon-monon

Remember when a car was :eek: COOL :eek: if it had a big back seat?

Nowa days they just want a coffe can muffler on a 4 cyl. Or lights on the greasy side.

rockislandmike

Or the biggest damn spoiler that can be made by man !!!!!

<< oh how I lament the demise of the incredibly utilitarian spoiler from auto racing >>

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Originally posted by jon-monon
Remember when a car was :eek: COOL :eek: if it had a big back seat?

I got One of those! :) :) A '72 Catalina... HUGE CAR - we call it "The Tuna Boat" 100' long 50' wide - ROFL

It's wheelbase is 1" shorter than TV's Batmobile... 123" - that's 10' 3" - it's about 16 1/2 Ft long and about 6 Ft wide - no Gadgets -- No electric windows, locks or trunk opener... it's soooo weird driving it, because it doesn't look like an antique, but it is "plain Jane".

It handles fantastic!! Corners by telepathy - all I have to do is want to turn & the car turns... Oh yeah - it has Real Chrome Steel bumpers - not this new fibreglass - plastic show bumpers....

Anyway - the only time it's been to a drive-in since I owned it, was to a car show.. :)

~~ Mikey

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Pleasant Valley in New Hartford, CT. Still has a drive in. Shows Stooges and cartoons before the features(Thats right....two movies) and the dancing concessions during intermission. Oh the memories that place brings back, when the better half and I go see a movie there.
Hmmm...Now that you guys brought it up, I might just model it because the real Central New England grade runs right a long side it. Though the tracks were ripped up before the drive in was put up. Like 20years before.
Remember the 1960 Buick Skylark in the Movie "Fast Time At Ridgemont High"? Had one. Same color and everything. Used to call it the "Batmobile" because of the fins. Talk about a gas guzzling boat. I think the hood weighed more than the better half's brand new Accent. And was probably twice as long.

jon-monon

Hey N-Gauge, I had a '76 with 400 cubic inches of self contained energy crisis under the hood. I wanted to put a nuke AC carrier motor in it but didn't want to sacrifice the HP. Tought my wife how to drive in that car. We got pulled over by the sherrif the first 5 minutes into the first lesson. He thot she was a littel kid that stole my moms car. She loved it. Now she drives a Grand Marq and I get the junky 200K+ mile van. The only problem with those big cars is Honda's get all balled up in the fender and if you don't stop and kick 'em out, it'll ruin a tire. I kinda think we should stay in good with the Saudi's so we can keep the big cars.

Hey, you guys accross the pond, what's the gas cost over there? The Petro? I gave 3 guys from our English office a ride to dinner in my wifes car and they asked how big the engine in it is. They all started mumbeling umong themselves and counted their fingers, then they all busted out laughing; it's a 4.6 L and it's bgger than all their cars engines combines. That's a small V8 here!