Logging / Shay Layout Update

Brewer

Jan 19, 2005
Well, the track is down. I am about 75% done with wiring the blocks. Next is the control panel. I've been doing a lot of filing to get the trains to run smoothly. I was not a fan of the Atlas track going in, but chose it for economic reasons.

Here's a few pics...

The overall layout:

158_5844.jpg

Side view:

158_5850.jpg

The wiring spaghetti bowl:

158_5851.jpg

The good news is that everything is working so far and the trains can handle the grade at Cardiac Hill. The road rules include 40' max car length on mainline and yards and 30' logging cars on Disston Logging Branch. The Shay can only handle two cars on the logging branch at a time due to the length of the spur at the switchback (upper left part of plan) but could drag 3 loaded cars up if not for the siding length issue. So far, so good.

Brewer

Jan 19, 2005
158_5845.jpg

The shay and two empties crossing the (future) trestle

158_5846.jpg

The shay switching Disston swapping empties for loaded log cars.

158_5848.jpg

GP-9 torpedo tube dragging some logging cars into Cottage Grove yard. The Geep can only switch one log car on the Disston branch at a time due to the short length of the switchback track.

Brewer

Jan 19, 2005
This has been a fun project so far. If you take your time with the track, you can get away with some pretty severe radius curves. Just stay away from anything 40'+ or anything with six wheeled trucks.

The cost to build a small layout is very reasonable and the "bang for the buck" is there. If you have been hesitating to get into MRR due to lack of space, this sort of project might be up your alley.

I'm glad to be back in the hobby!

Brewer

Jan 19, 2005
Thanks. Yeah, the Shay's very smooth considering all that's going on down there with the drivetrain!

Brewer

Jan 19, 2005
<quote>i really like that GP-9 too are you planning on getting any other kinds of cars?</quote>

I like the Geep, too! A killer deal on ebay ($39). Runs smooth and all I had to do was change out the couplers.

As far as other cars, a few SP/UP/SPS 40' metal box cars, a few steel end wood side box cars, and one car that violates the 40' rule: a 50' troop sleeper for limited passenger service up the logging branch. It's similar to a locally made passenger car run on the prototype OSE.

A fun project, so far...

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Looking Great Brewer.Nice wiring job.much cleaner than i have managed in the past.I'll take a lesson here ;)

You are a much cleaner modeler than i am ,in fact, I only see one line on that plywood that looks like it doesnt belong. I generally end up with multicolors running all over the place :D

When i laid my mini i was also amazed at how tight a radius you could get away with for some Loco's.
I have about 7 1/4" aprox radius on my inside curve(18 x 30 mini) and i can run through it with an Atlas RS-3 at speed.
Like you said, no 6 wheel trucks.Never happen ;)
The old time box cars(billboards) ore cars,beer can tanks all handle the tight radius quite well as long as you dont have to switch on the curve.

As to track.Atlas is affordable and i'm not sure what troubles you had,but i found it to be frustrating when i first began laying it.(on retrospect i believe it was mostly because i was used to laying HO and this was a bit more finicky.)

After you get a hundred feet and a dozen or so turnouts laid things begin to smooth out some.
For most folks the Atlas is just so much easier to
1-obtain
2-afford
3-wire.

Once again, looking great.Its nice to see you progressing and at the point where you can operate if you want to!!

Brewer

Jan 19, 2005
Had to dig this up...

Vital Statistics:
Width - 42"
Depth - 22"
Lower loop radius - 9.25"
Upper curve radius - 8.25"