Logging or Mining Buildings in any scale

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
I was reading a thread today that was asking for blueprints for buildings and such. It sparked my brain and I thought where are all the drawings then? Out of the supposed thousands of people on this website maybe two or three posted an image.

So I would like to see some of those buildings especially any logging or mining buildings or scenes and any blueprints you have. The other thread focused on how to determine the size of a building from a picture. I would like to see the actual photos and blueprints.

It doesn't matter what scale as long as there are dimensions. We can always convert it to another scale!!!

So come on lets see some of those terrific models people on this website so often talk about.

Eric

F

Fred_M

I can't speak for everybody, but I don't use blueprints. Most of the time i don't even have a schetch before I start, and the "blueprint" is drawn upon the materials that become the finished building with a scale ruler. I'm only doing one after all. As to pictures, there are literally thousands posted in past threads in every catagory. FRED;)

Summit

May 12, 2003
Elko, NV
www.trainweb.org
When the AT&SF Cleburne shops were busy converting F7s into CF7's, somebody from headquarters called up the shop foreman wanting to see wiring schematics for the "new" units...the foreman is said to have fired back "Tell them the drawings are on the outhouse walls...".

There are those in the hobby that do make drawings and blueprints, even those that make full size paper mock ups of planned buildings, but I have a feeling that many follow the above statement...

Summit

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
What sort of drawings and for which type of structures are you looking for?

Shamus

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
Buildings

I am looking for buildings mostly based around a small logging outfit. I am also looking for any unigue mines that are out there.

It is ok if they aren't bluepints everyone!!!!
You can simply lay a ruler next to any building you have and take a picture. That way we can simply tell the size of th structure.

Eric

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hi Eric, If you go to the link I gave you, you can click "Search by Keyword" and enter logging, logger, logs, lumber, log town, comapany town, shanty or what ever you can think of, you should get some returns, and some, not all, will have blueprints and drawings for some really neat buildings!

For example, try "Logging" and select the second hit: Logging Camp, Ely vicinity, St. Louis County, MN, then click on the icon that says "4 Drawings", then click each drawing to enlarge and print if you like. You can download large "tiff" images to print larger copies. They are free and legal to grab, but I can't link them from here because of hte way they have it set up. It's a great resource that Mikey turned me onto (N-gauger) :D :D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Oh, you can also search by browsing the subject or geographic indexes. From: Abandoned buildings, to: Breweries Might not sound great, but if you are not sure what you are looking for, it might be jsut the key. I found:

Abandoned buildings
Abraham Lincoln Birthplace
Abutments
Animal housing :rolleyes:
Arch bridges
Arches
Architects' offices
Architectural elements
Architectural follies
Axle & wheel works
Banks
Barbershops
Barns
Barracks
Bars :confused: hicup
Bathhouses :eek:
Blacksmith shops
Boiler houses
Breweries :confused: hicup

And maybe 100 more! Each one would be an index in itself which may link to very few, or very many pages, that may have drawings, photo's and documentation available. The ones I picked out could all be at home somewhere on a logging layout. Happy Hunting!

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Re: Mining Buildings

Great pics, Jim!

Originally posted by Ho Modeler
Any type of mining.

Whether it be companies, buildings, equipment, or anything.
I would love to see any info!!!

Eric

Hi Eric, if you hit this site: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/hhquery.html

and enter a search for "Quincy Mining Company"

You'll hit the jackpot. There are 34 drawings including the buildings, maps, etc. and 274 B&W photo's to back it up :D