Logging Layout Track Plan!

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
I started out designing a layout with all kinds of stuff going on. Now I have decided to build in large modules with a different theam for each one.

Here is the track plan for the logging part of my big plan. I know it looks confusing,but to me its not. This will be Home Base for my layout and so I have designed a staging yard under the ground level. The tracks desend to the staging yard inside a mountain. my idea is that the trains could come from anywhere on the mainline and this is just a stop along the way.

First thing is the over all view of all the tracks, then I will break it down for clarity.

This is a 3rd PlanIt 3D view:

Attachments

• whole track view.jpg
    whole track view.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 473

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
The Switching Yard

This is the plan of the switching yard alone. This will be 4.5" under the ground level. The loops for storing the trains look a bit odd, but I was having trouble making the connections with the software. I don't plan on long trains.

The switching yard.

The numbers refer to elevation.

Attachments

• lower track plan.jpg
    lower track plan.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 447

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
The Ground Level

This is the 0" grade level.

"A" and "B" are where the tracks descends and ascends from the staging yard. The tunnel portals are basically where the edge of the mountain will be.

There will be a lake by the siding "D" for the saw mill.

"E" and "F" are where the track climes to the upper levels.

You should note the bit of track that comes out of the top of the lower tunnel and then joins the inner loop. This makes it possible to reverse the direction of the trains.

Attachments

• ground level plan.jpg
    ground level plan.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 447

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Upper Track Plan

This is the upper track plan. I don't have the bridges marked, but you can guess where they go.

The track goes through a tunnel between the portals by "E" and "H".

The little siding by "H" is where the logging engine will park with a little engine house. The turn out "G" will be where the track ascends to the switch back and the fellers.

Attachments

• upper track plan.jpg
    upper track plan.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 441

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
The Switch Back

Although the basic track plan is 4' x 8', I decided to add a one foot bit that would have a switch back to take the logging train up to where the logs are cut. First I will build the 4'x8' part, then later on I can add the switch back. The tallest part of the track is 14.5" above the 0" grade.

Attachments

• switch back plan.jpg
    switch back plan.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 423

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
The Elevation Trick

This was the trickiest part of designing this plan. I wanted the ascent and decent to be concealed inside a mountain, and have a run around track for when I wanted the train to by-pass the staging yard. Outside track has a 22" radious, then a 20" radious and an 18" radious for the run around track.

3D view:

Attachments

• elevation end view.jpg
    elevation end view.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 423

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
One Last View

This is a view of the south end of the layout in 3D. It gives you a better idea of how the tracks will look. I turned the staging yard off to make it easy to see.

The steepest grade on the whole thing is 3.5%. Total amount of track is 94 feet, 107 feet with the switch back.

What do you think?

TrainClown :wave:

Attachments

• south end view.jpg
    south end view.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 413

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
wow, thats a lot of track TC, can't wait to see photo's of this area at a later date.
shamus

Hello TC,

Love it. But then why shouldn't I, you seem to have drawn a variation of my layout. In my case I think there is more track hidden than visible but there are few times when a train is hidden completely for long.

I have essentially 5 major levels with 'Harriet' being the lowest. Here I have a reversing loop, two sidings next to the future log pond and mill and an exit to the fiddle cassettes.(replacing full cars with empties)

I then run up through 'Auggy' by-passing the yard, staging sidings and the continuous loop and up over '3 bridges' where the track splits and is now two lanes through the cut and mountain up the rise to 'Jake Loff Hill' and under 'Devo'. As we reach 'Lower Elgin' the tracks diverge and form the reversing loop for the return.

Lower Elgin has 2 routes to 'Devo' from both sides of the loop which then switchbacks over the trestle to 'Upper Elgin' where all the clear cutting and log loading is going on. This track then continues on to the top fiddle cassette, approximately 50 cm higher. (replacing empties with full)

I don't have a track plan picture but seeing Shamus's "click the track plan" picture choosing page, I want to flatterise his idea.

I didn't waste my time working out a track plan or playing with software, other than a few pencil sketches. I did it the easy way. Lay all the subroadbed, roadbed and track. Start with the major scenery. Then look at it in disgust and spend 6 months tearing it all down and starting over.

I tried to keep my inclines as low as possible to clear underlying track and anything steep should really be on a straight section. Curves suck your pulling power even without a grade. I don't have any sections over 3 percent but I do have a steep curved section that requires my 4-4-0's to triple head if they want to get any thing worth while up the mountain.

The Heislers, Shays and Climaxes hardly seem to notice but I like to double head. I have plastic frogs in the 'Auggy' yard and double heading prevents stalling especially for the little Climaxes. All rolling stock must have their axle sockets reamed with that little axle reamer thingy tool and metal wheels should also be used if you plan on getting many cars up to the top at a time.

Grade transition easements will need close and careful attention and turnouts should be kept away from these areas. I heartily recommend soldering the flextrack sections that span the easements before installing for the same reason as soldering curved sections. Hidden sections should also be soldered. I soldered everything I could because it's my idea of fun. Try to avoid any thing in a hidden or limited access section other than as smooth straight and flat as possible.

I look forward to seeing your vision become reality.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Thanks For The Response

Shamus: Of course you realize this is all your fault. ;) I was going to build a mining layout and then I saw yours. Yes, it's a lot of track but that's what makes it interesting to me. I already have the track so it's just a matter of time.

Mike: Yes, you're right. Two portals are better than one big one in this case. Thanks for pointing that out.

Jon: Arrrrr Laddie!! The terrain is going on presently. I have it better than half done now and it looks ok. More pics to come! :D

Lightbender: Someone told me once that you couldn't have an oval and figure 8 on a 4 ft. by 8 ft. layout, so that's how this all got started, I guess. Then I discovered hidden staging yards and from then on I was bent to include that too. It's interesting to hear how your engines handle the grades. I don't expect to have any more than four cars at any time. This is really just a small railroad. So I think my engines will handle it fine, but we shall see. I have a Climax engine that will be the sole power for the upper switchback, and that should handle those steep grades no problem. But we will see.

More to come!

TrainClown

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Re: Thanks For The Response

Originally posted by TrainClown
Shamus: Of course you realize this is all your fault. ;) I was going to build a mining layout and then I saw yours. TrainClown
No listen brother TC don't go blaming me just because you saw a photo of mine. :D Mind you, I did the same thing once after looking at a photo of John Allens G&D line.LOL You could also have a small mine area to go with the HUGH logging layout :thumb::rolleyes:
Shamus

Goattee

Feb 12, 2004
Walls, MS
Visit site
Two tunnels

Traincloun; I saw these in Utah. Hope they help.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Arrrrrr Lads!

Shamus: And so goes the chain. :D

jon: You read my mind. I want to put in a mine someplace with a little HOn30 service track. But that's a dream far down the road.

Goattee: That's a great Pic! Just the sort of thing I want to see. Look at the pics below and you can see how that will sort of fit right in. Thanks. :thumb:

AND I have a terrain shot or 2 to share.

In this forst shot we see the south end, with the cliff and the waterfall. The loogers dug out this little pond to service there mill. The bridges and buildings are yet to come, but, here is what is so far.

Attachments

• flex 4x8 plan 2.jpg
    flex 4x8 plan 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 139