logging flat cars

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
Wyomingite, how precise or detailed are you looking for? I wanted some in HO, but at 3 for $49 I looked elswhere. I had a bunch of cabooses to throw out, so I took the tops off, cut off the steps, then it's optional to make a plank floor or not. I didn't. I cut limbs from a bush that scaled out about right, put them on with a glue gun, then used old necklace chain to chain them down with. I wouldn't swap even up with the store-bought artificial-logged for one of mine. If you looked close, I don't know if it would be prototypical or not, but for half a buck I'm happy.

Lynn

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Gloor Craft also has them listed. they come in a 3 car white metal kit and are about 25 scale ft long.
The kit however, is listed as out of stock at both N Scale Supply and Walthers (Walthers has only 6 out of 79 N Scale Gloor Craft items listed in stock), so I am not sure just what the story is with Gloor Craft.
If you can find them, they should list at $7.98 per kit.
I had several of them a few years ago (not sure what became of them) and they were good looking cars.
Cheers.

Terry

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Logging cars

I want to thank you guys for your input on the logging flat cars. Shane thanks a big bunch for checking out that not so close hobby shop. Mine is a hundred and sixty miles away and does not favor N-Scale. I E-mailed that shop and waiting for a reply. Thanks again and a wonderful Easter to all.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
You never did say if you were looking for store-boughten or home-made type. You might check in the academy of the gauge here. Shamus runs big logging scenes and he has an article on a 23' flat car he uses on his layout. He's top dog on logging so might check this out.

Lynn

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
logging cars

Hi Lynn,

To be honest I'm interested in doing both buying and making my own flatcars. I got some great information here on te forum to say the least. Right now I'm into scenery and building structures so for now I would like to buy a few to get something started. One thing I'm going to need to build flatcars is a 2-56 tap. I found pan head screws that size but so far no tap. Maybe someone will know where I can get one. Again thanks for all the imput and help.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I think that Shepaug can help you out with that too.He's the best N-scale store that I've found,even if I have to travel an hour and a half.Its well worth the trip.Hes well stocked in N-scale.

Shane

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Logging cars

Thanks again Shane, I'll get an E-mail off tonight and find out for sure. I also found the bit today at a local hardware store so I bought several. I hope that hobby shop has a fair suppy of those flat cars as I will take all he has. The other day I got the brainstorm to also add a underground mining operation as Deadwood South Dakota is an old mining town not to far away.

My formore layout was a mining operation but a modern version of open pit coal mining. We have fifteen coal mines here in the Gillette area and I retired five years ago from one. I would like to do a small gold mining operation as I really like the looks of those neet little ore cars. Looks like a bad idea as getting those looks to be almost impossible. I ordered thirty from N-Scale Supply and they only could come up with one.
I wrote to N-Scale Division and they told me they can only get those cars by a twelve pack case which at the most only had two of one road name. I checked Atlas and they had none in stock at all. I would'nt really care about the roadname but at least the same color cars. I just don't understand if the demand is there why there is poor supply. N-Scale Division told me they recieve lots of orders for those cars but just can't fill them. I just think I will give up on the brainstorm. Hope you had a great Easter.

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Ore Cars

Thanks again Shane. I'm looking for the ore cars. I have a bunch of modern day B&N&SF mining cars that I used on my last layout. I just sent another E-mail to that hobby shop and will let you know what I find out. ;)