Logging figures?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Sorry Rich, Only use the hard hats for mine.
There were some white metal casting figures on the market some years ago, don't remember who made them, sorry.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Shay2, I'm going to be in need of some figures from that time period also. Walther's lists a set by Preiser called "tradespeople". This is an unpainted set. I like to paint my own. They're a lot cheaper, you can "dress" them however you like, & if somebody's wearing a hat you don't like, file it off. (ouch!)
wink.gif
If you're not too squeamish, (like my wife
biggrin.gif
) you can cut off their little heads, arms, legs, etc., & rearrange them to fit diferent situations.

Shay2

Feb 12, 2001
Ohio, USA
trainster.20m.com
I'm guessing your correct, Charlie.
It seems finding some prepainted ax-swingers isn't gonna be easy. I was hoping to avoid the process of "cut an paste" but it looks like thats my only option. (and I thought painting O Scale was tuff!)
I guess I need to purchase a few 3-hair brushes and a new pair of reading glasses.
Rich

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Shay2, Cheer up man, it's not that tough!
The brush you need is a 0-0 "spotter". Some sort of magnifyer is nice to have, & to hold the figure while I paint it, I glue the bottom of one foot (the figure's foot, not mine
biggrin.gif
) to a piece of wire with a tiny drop of CA adhesive.
I always start by priming the figures with gray primer from a spray can. Then it's all Polly Scale acrylics. For skin color, I use Sand for the lightest shade, & Roof Brown for the darkest, & any mixture of these two, depending on the "diversity" of your population. As far as clothing goes, that's up to you, keeping in mind that turn of the century workers probably weren't a very colorful lot. Grays, browns, blacks, whites, & maybe some blue denim thrown in. After everybody's dry, a thin black wash will "dirty them down" nicely. Don't worry about tiny features like eyes & mouths, they're really too small to show in a scale this small.
After trying this, you'll never go back to those expensive pre-painted jobs. The unpainted ones cost around $20 or so for 120 figures. For the same price, yuou can get 5 or 6 painted ones.